Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Source for 4-conductor antenna rotator cable?

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Subject says it all, almost. Checked the local Borgs- they don't even
carry twinlead any more, much less 4-conductor outdoor-rated ribbon cable.
One place had crappy rather overpriced 3-conductor cable from China, in
small coils, which is apparently the modern standard. I could fake it with
2 runs of outdoor-rated landscape light zip wire, but that would look
crude. I looked online, but didn't find 4-conductor. When I was a kid,
every hardware store had a big reel of it, and you bought how much you
needed.

I'm trying to do a low-buck backup TV signal source, and with stations in
3 major directions, I have to repoint antenna to feed my converter box. I
was all set to buy a flying-saucer omni antenna, but tripped across
(literally) this rotor and control box for 2 bucks at a garage sale. It
works (on the ground at least), but the cable is too short for my roof,
and in pretty nasty shape.

Rotor box says 'colormaster lc100a' on it. Looks to be a clone of the
channel master my family had when I was a kid.

Anybody know if all 4 wires are really needed, or can I combine 2 of them?

Look here for the wi
http://www.thewireman.com/rotorp.html

It is $ .24 per foot for 100 feet or more. Product number 308. It has 4
number 20 wires.

I have not seen an TV that has a 300 ohm twinlead hookup in years. That is
probably why you did not see it in the stores. With the switch to digital,
I doubt any tv or converter will have the need for the twinlead. Maybe a
few rare cases.