Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Source for 4-conductor antenna rotator cable?

Subject says it all, almost. Checked the local Borgs- they don't even
carry twinlead any more, much less 4-conductor outdoor-rated ribbon
cable. One place had crappy rather overpriced 3-conductor cable from
China, in small coils, which is apparently the modern standard. I could
fake it with 2 runs of outdoor-rated landscape light zip wire, but that
would look crude. I looked online, but didn't find 4-conductor. When I
was a kid, every hardware store had a big reel of it, and you bought how
much you needed.

I'm trying to do a low-buck backup TV signal source, and with stations
in 3 major directions, I have to repoint antenna to feed my converter
box. I was all set to buy a flying-saucer omni antenna, but tripped
across (literally) this rotor and control box for 2 bucks at a garage
sale. It works (on the ground at least), but the cable is too short for
my roof, and in pretty nasty shape.

Rotor box says 'colormaster lc100a' on it. Looks to be a clone of the
channel master my family had when I was a kid.

Anybody know if all 4 wires are really needed, or can I combine 2 of them?

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Subject says it all, almost. Checked the local Borgs- they don't even
[...]

It has been a long time and I do not know if all 4 are needed.

Radio Shack has this 3 wire cable:

http://www.radioshack.com/search/ind...2 0cable&sr=1

Happy shopping.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Subject says it all, almost. Checked the local Borgs- they don't even
[...]

Look here for the wi
http://www.thewireman.com/rotorp.html

It is $ .24 per foot for 100 feet or more. Product number 308. It has 4
number 20 wires.

I have not seen an TV that has a 300 ohm twinlead hookup in years. That is
probably why you did not see it in the stores. With the switch to digital,
I doubt any tv or converter will have the need for the twinlead. Maybe a
few rare cases.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Subject says it all, almost. Checked the local Borgs- they don't even
carry twinlead any more, much less 4-conductor outdoor-rated ribbon
cable. One place had crappy rather overpriced 3-conductor cable from
China, in small coils, which is apparently the modern standard. I
could fake it with 2 runs of outdoor-rated landscape light zip wire,
but that would look crude. I looked online, but didn't find
4-conductor. When I was a kid, every hardware store had a big reel of
it, and you bought how much you needed.

How about sprinkler cable? Often found near the sprinkler heads, etc inb the
plumbing dept.
Available with different # of conductors.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

aemeijers wrote:
Subject says it all, almost. Checked the local Borgs- they don't even
[...]

Use "thermostat" cable.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 23:26:30 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

I could
fake it with 2 runs of outdoor-rated landscape light zip wire, but that
would look crude.

Twist them around each other every six inches or so and they won't
spearate and you can tell people it's frappage or domage or whatever
they call artwork with ropes. Or you can say it's to prevent
induction of voltages due to lighting strikes. Like they run
twisted pairs for burglar alarm sensor wires (because they are long
runs I think) and they twist twin lead.

I used phone line for my burglar alarm sensor wires and after about 18
years, my control panel smoked to death. But I don't know why.

Or use teleophone wire like BQ says.

I looked online, but didn't find 4-conductor. When I
was a kid, every hardware store had a big reel of it, and you bought how
much you needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Jul 6, 6:26*pm, aemeijers wrote:
Subject says it all, almost. Checked the local Borgs- they don't even
[...]

You need all 4 wires - 2 for the syncro & 2 for the power.
Radio Shack has what you are asking for:

http://www.radioshack.com/family/ind...goryId=2032238
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2049618

KC
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
[...]

Thanks, all- if I get motivated this weekend, I'll try phone cable. I
happen to have a partial box of cat3 sitting in the basement that I
bought for a couple bucks at a garage sale a couple of years ago. I can
unreel 25 feet or so, and try a smoke test on the ground before I string
it. I guess if it acts unhappy, I can always do 2 runs, and double up
the conductors.

Did I mention I'm trying to do this on the cheap? (Just on general
principles- I can afford a new one, but doing it for next to nothing
would please my inner cheap SOB, and honor the memory of my late EE
grandfather, who was also a cheap SOB.)

Now all I need to scrounge is a short stick of mast and a couple of U
bolts....
--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Subject says it all, almost. Checked the local Borgs- they don't even
[...]

Hi,
Two things come to mind. 4 or 6 wire thermostat hook up cable or a pair
of twisted pair cable.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 02:55:17 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

mm wrote:
[...]

Motors don't use much current, but I don't know how much or the gauge
of Cat-3. Frankly, if the gauge is too low, the voltage available at
the motor will be too low and the motor won't turn fast enough. So
pay attention to that. If it doesn't turn at all, I guess the motor
can overheat and burn out. All the energy that would go into motion
will turn into heat, plus whatever heat it would normally have in the
motor. That second part shouldn't be much when they only run for less
than a minute, right. Ten or 20 seconds?

It seems to me there is no way you will burn out the wire you are
about to use, or almost any wire, because the excess heat will be
distributed along 20 plus feet. It won't even get warm to the touch.

Did I mention I'm trying to do this on the cheap? (Just on general
principles- I can afford a new one, but doing it for next to nothing
would please my inner cheap SOB, and honor the memory of my late EE
grandfather, who was also a cheap SOB.)

That's important. I agree with you. And your father would be proud.

And I'd rather be cheap and never run out of money.

Now all I need to scrounge is a short stick of mast and a couple of U
bolts....

Posted to alt.home.repair

I know you are doing this on the cheap.. but before you do anything you
might want to check to see if you have a chance of picking anything up
by going to www.tvfool.com.

300 ohm twin lead usually doesn't work out well with all the broadband
noise in todays world.
RG-6 coax is a much better choice if you find some in your price range.