Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Conway Richard Conway is offline

Default It pays to DIY - or rather it doesn't pay not too...

Tim S wrote:
js.b1 wibbled:

Every time the door slams with the wind the plaster will crack
vertically over the brick/block joint. If there is wallpaper on it
then it will end up as a "crunchy-ripply-distorted mess" and will
eventually tear the wallpaper leaving a very visible & obvious
"crack". You then get people trying to fill in the crack without
addressing the real problem.

Realise this can happen on both sides of the wall - which could get
expensive if the other side is a wallpaper hallway.

So D-I-Y the repair properly - the wall starter kit is the proper
solution (or key in bricks since D-I-Y labour is "free").

There be tiles going on the back... And emulsion on the front.

The BCO was down looking at random things like the fireplace, and my new
windows... I showed it to him. He didn't think it was good enough. He's
agreed on replacing with bricks interleved into the old wall said not to
bother with a DPC under the bottom brick as it's only one in order to get a
stronger bond with the floor.

I'm certainly agreed that DIY will be better here - already got a pile of
random but quite good quality bricks.

I feel vindicated now he's seen it - so I shall write the builder in
question a stinky letter telling him what I think of some of his work
(remember 2/3rds was done OK but I've had to redo random bits). It was his
attitude to being asked politely to remedy the problem that wound me up.
He's been offered the chance to fix it, refused and I'm not inclined to
waste time going through "due process" any further.

Life's too short to sue, and the rectification costs will be around 600 quid
of materials (mostly the front room floor) and a week of my time plus a
labourer assisting covering the 3 main cock ups. So best to get on and just
do it. So I'll leave it as a stinky letter and some negative press to his
other customers who happen to be friends of mine.

You could at least threaten him with legal action but name a
(reasonable) price at which you would be happy to settle. Send it
recorded delivery and give him a deadline to respond and he may be
suitibly worried enough to hand over the cash. Worth a try and won't
waste any time as you intend to write him a letter anyway.

Cheers

Tim