Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Cementing plexiglass

On Jul 5, 1:20*pm, Michael Dobony wrote:
I need to glue a plesiglass shelf to plexiglass sides. *I cannot use screws
(visual reasons). *What adhesive would you recommend for a long-lasting,
solid fix?

Weld On cements are based on methylene chloride. Professional
fabricators, building sign installers and tinkerers have used it for
years. The bond is about as strong as the acrylic, and in sign work,
transparent acrylic legs are cemented to the vacuum formed colored
letters for attachment to the building by mechanical means.. The only
trick involved is getting the mating surfaces fairly close by sanding
smooth or milling. For small projects application of the pure solvent
cement (unbodied) is easily done with hypodermic needles. Bodied Weld
On is used for imperfectly fitting pieces. Your plastics supplier will
have the cement and instructions for using it.
A typical 8" x 24" x 1/4" shelf precisely dimensioned will support a
considerable weight when cemented in this way. Large furniture pieces
used to be common that were invisibly cemented. Try some test pieces
to be sure of your technique. Always works for me.

Joe.