Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default DIY UAV -- RC Helicopter with .45 handgun attached

"Wes" wrote in message
"RogerN" wrote:

There are some nice videos on youtube of FPV RC (first person view). Are
you planning to fly from the camera view?

I just would like to take aerial pictures.

There are some video goggles and
head tracking sensors that let you fly the model and the camera will pan
and
tilt as you turn your head. I've read that one problem for new pilots is
flying the model out of range. This isn't a problem most R/C heli flying
since it's generally in range if you can see it, but the FPV stuff, you
can
fly beyond line of sight, lose signal and :-( I saw they have equipment
now
that works with GPS, if you fly your model out of range, it's supposed to
automatically return to the take off point. This stuff could be kind of
scary if you realize how it could be abused... a GPS guided aircraft is
not
that far off from a cruise missile, now add a .45 and video recognition
software... For a test I sent one out to capture TMT and it came back
with
a box of Hostess Ding Dongs :-)

GPS and explosives, that would make a nasty combination.

Ding Dongs you say, I'd have thought you would have got a Nutty Bar
http://www.chocablog.com/wp-content/...utty-bar-1.jpg

Wes

Some use the wireless video cameras to aim the digital camera to snap
quality photos. I thought it would be interesting to record flights on
videotape.

Are you interested in the high $$ larger models? Depending on the weight of
the camera and any aiming mechanism, there are pretty good cheap model
heli's these days. I have a couple of the small electric helis with
brushless motors, their performance is awesome. It might be good advise to
get a more economical model to learn to fly, and make mistakes on, and have
fun with.

Ron Lund has a website with good information, they have a "crash index" that
estimates how much $$$ in parts a typical crash costs on different model
heli's. That's in the "Kit Comparison" part of the website.

http://www.ronlund.com/

another good online heli shop

http://www.heliproz.com/

RogerN