Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ RoyJ is offline

Default Starting capacitor sizing

I headed to the shop, pulled apart 3 motors:

-2hp cap start/cap run TEFC running on 240 volts: 189-227mfd/165 volts
-1hp cap start compressor running on 120 volts: 534mfd/125 volts
-1hp cap start saw duty running on 120 volts: 216-259mfd/110 volts

Now I'm really confused!

Wild_Bill wrote:
When I asked about starting capacitor values at the local motor repair
shop, I was told that 500uF per HP is the correct size/value.

Many of the fractional HP motors that I've serviced all seem to follow
this same guideline.
The marked values of about 110uF for 1/4 HP, 140uF for 1/3 HP, etc.

FWIW, the actual measured value will vary considerably from the value
marked on the capacitor case, as the capacitance value tolerance can be
20%.