Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Starting capacitor sizing

A friend came by with a non functioning olde 1 hp motor the other day. A
quick check showed no starting circuit (bad cap or bad centrifugal
switch). Pulled the old cap out, it is the old style aluminum case, NO
MARKINGS.

So what size cap to put in?? I just picked a ~200mfd and called it good
but I don't think that is the right answer. So what/how is the cap
sized? Too small a cap and it won't do anything useful. But is bigger
better? Or is the cap matched to the motor in a resonant circuit?

Motor in question is a Westinghouse 1hp 120/240 motor. Judging from the
grease caps, case style, paint color, etc, I'd guess 1940's, maybe early
50's.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 10:12:13 -0500, RoyJ
wrote:

A friend came by with a non functioning olde 1 hp motor the other day. A
quick check showed no starting circuit (bad cap or bad centrifugal
switch). Pulled the old cap out, it is the old style aluminum case, NO
MARKINGS.

So what size cap to put in?? I just picked a ~200mfd and called it good
but I don't think that is the right answer. So what/how is the cap
sized? Too small a cap and it won't do anything useful. But is bigger
better? Or is the cap matched to the motor in a resonant circuit?

Motor in question is a Westinghouse 1hp 120/240 motor. Judging from the
grease caps, case style, paint color, etc, I'd guess 1940's, maybe early
50's.

If you can read the nameplate, look closely - normally there's a
call-out for size and voltage ratings.

And if not, call Westinghouse with the model and serial number and
ask - sometimes they still have the old records available.

There's a LOT of old equipment out there still in daily service, and
sometimes people decide to rebuild rather than replace. And sometimes
you can't GET a new replacement without spending megabucks on
something custom, so you have to rebuild the old one.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

When I asked about starting capacitor values at the local motor repair shop,
I was told that 500uF per HP is the correct size/value.

Many of the fractional HP motors that I've serviced all seem to follow this
same guideline.
The marked values of about 110uF for 1/4 HP, 140uF for 1/3 HP, etc.

FWIW, the actual measured value will vary considerably from the value marked
on the capacitor case, as the capacitance value tolerance can be 20%.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"RoyJ" wrote in message
m...
A friend came by with a non functioning olde 1 hp motor the other day. A
quick check showed no starting circuit (bad cap or bad centrifugal switch).
Pulled the old cap out, it is the old style aluminum case, NO MARKINGS.

So what size cap to put in?? I just picked a ~200mfd and called it good
but I don't think that is the right answer. So what/how is the cap sized?
Too small a cap and it won't do anything useful. But is bigger better? Or
is the cap matched to the motor in a resonant circuit?

Motor in question is a Westinghouse 1hp 120/240 motor. Judging from the
grease caps, case style, paint color, etc, I'd guess 1940's, maybe early
50's.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you can read the nameplate, look closely - normally there's a
call-out for size and voltage ratings.

Hey, I'm not THAT slow on the draw! I looked, the label was quite
clear, no capacitor data.

And if not, call Westinghouse with the model and serial number and
ask - sometimes they still have the old records available.

This application does not rise to the need for calling 'Circle W' I was
more looking for some sort of rule of thumb.

There's a LOT of old equipment out there still in daily service, and
sometimes people decide to rebuild rather than replace. And sometimes
you can't GET a new replacement without spending megabucks on
something custom, so you have to rebuild the old one.

Generally referred to as 'between a rock and a hard place'. BTDT.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I headed to the shop, pulled apart 3 motors:

-2hp cap start/cap run TEFC running on 240 volts: 189-227mfd/165 volts
-1hp cap start compressor running on 120 volts: 534mfd/125 volts
-1hp cap start saw duty running on 120 volts: 216-259mfd/110 volts

Now I'm really confused!

Wild_Bill wrote:
When I asked about starting capacitor values at the local motor repair
shop, I was told that 500uF per HP is the correct size/value.

Many of the fractional HP motors that I've serviced all seem to follow
this same guideline.
The marked values of about 110uF for 1/4 HP, 140uF for 1/3 HP, etc.

FWIW, the actual measured value will vary considerably from the value
marked on the capacitor case, as the capacitance value tolerance can be
20%.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The purpose of the capacitor in the motor's starting circuit is to increase
torque during startup (thus reaching the run switch speed sooner), so a
manufacturer could utilize a more common or cheaper capacitor if the OEM is
specific about the motor application.

There are a lot of split-phase induction motors that aren't built with a
starting capacitor, and they work fine in applications where there is none,
or a very low load at startup.

When I've used general purpose utility motors for applications where the
starting load torque was more significant than say, a fan application for
example, I've added a starting capacitor to increase the starting torque.

When dealing with used motors, if I see signs of previous repairs (stripped
screw slots, etc), I'll review my motor notes to see if the start capacitor
value is within reason for similar motors, or comparable to the 500uf/HP
guideline.

In my experience, not many motors are marked with start or run capacitor
values, with the exception of PSC permanent split capacitor types, and not
many motors can be looked up since most manufacturers usually don't provide
capacitor values for split-phase models.

In the HVAC servicing trade/industry, there are add-on booster capacitors
for increasing a motor's starting torque which may be reduced by voltage
drops or other issues.
These capacitor-booster products typically utilize thermistors to limit the
application time duration of the boost.

--
WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

m...

Wild_Bill wrote:
When I asked about starting capacitor values at the local motor repair
shop, I was told that 500uF per HP is the correct size/value.

Many of the fractional HP motors that I've serviced all seem to follow
this same guideline.
The marked values of about 110uF for 1/4 HP, 140uF for 1/3 HP, etc.

FWIW, the actual measured value will vary considerably from the value
marked on the capacitor case, as the capacitance value tolerance can be
20%.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

aaah, this is partially correct, but the way to look at it is that the
capacitor, along with the start winding provides a phase shift to act "kind
of" like a 3 phase motor - so you can get the rotating magnetic field rather
than just a 180 deg back/forth magnetic field which will just make the motor
buzz -

so, you want whatever value gets you about 60 deg phase shift so you can get
the rotation of the field

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
[...]

m...

Wild_Bill wrote:
When I asked about starting capacitor values at the local motor repair
shop, I was told that 500uF per HP is the correct size/value.

Many of the fractional HP motors that I've serviced all seem to follow
this same guideline.
The marked values of about 110uF for 1/4 HP, 140uF for 1/3 HP, etc.

FWIW, the actual measured value will vary considerably from the value
marked on the capacitor case, as the capacitance value tolerance can be
20%.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RoyJ wrote in
m:

I headed to the shop, pulled apart 3 motors:

-2hp cap start/cap run TEFC running on 240 volts: 189-227mfd/165 volts

Start windings on dual voltage rated motors are center tapped by the
jumpers so that the winding always sees the same (lower) voltage
regardless of which supply voltage it is connected for.

-1hp cap start compressor running on 120 volts: 534mfd/125 volts

Compressors are typically hard starting loads so it makes sense that the
motor is chosen to have high initial torque, and a high value capacitor.

-1hp cap start saw duty running on 120 volts: 216-259mfd/110 volts

Saws have very low starting torque requirements, seems reasonable to
have a smaller capacitor.

Now I'm really confused!

There's way too many motor construction and starting torque variables
for the 500uF/Hp rule of thumb to always fit.
Voltage ratings on the capacitors you listed are somewhat normal. The
start winding is so low duty cycle they use lower lated capacitors. Run
capacitors are usually 1.4 x rms voltage or peak ac voltage rated since
they are constantly in circuit.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
I trust you are correct, Bill. Perhaps a better choice for a word to
replace (the) *purpose*, would be (the) advantage
... of the capacitor in the motor's starting circuit is to increase
torque during startup

--
WB

close, but still not quite right - for example, take an old time clock motor
(really old time - like 1930) - many of these will run either way and there
is a little knob to twist to start them in the right way - if you do
nothing, they sit there and buzzzzzzz. spin the knob and off they go. So,
the start windings on your larger motor are like this little knob - they
produce a rotating magnetic field, like a 3 phase motor. To do this, you
need to get the phase angles, and that is where the capacitor comes in. It
forms an LC (inductance/capacitance) circuit with the coil and that creates
the phase shift.

So, yes, the start winding increases torque, and the capacitor gives the
phase shift so it will turn and in the right direction

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I don't think anyone would expect to be able to get the suggested clock
motor to do any real work, Bill.

As I mentioned earlier, there are many split-phase motors that are
built/manufactured without start capacitors, which operate properly in their
intended applications (low or no starting load).

Simply put, capacitor start split-phase motors have greater starting torque
than an equivalent non-capacitor start, split-phase motor, for applications
where a load is present at startup.

When most of us want to power a project machine, the main considerations are
voltage, speed and motor output.
For many, assuming that bigger is better, one could use 5HP motors for
almost all of their shop machines.

I've encountered situations (powering small machines with spare motors)
where an adequately sized motor wouldn't start occasionally, and by adding
a suitably sized start capacitor to a non-capacitor start, split-phase motor
would increase the starting torque to the point where the machine would
start perfectly.
That, to me, is an advantage, in that I didn't need to go find/buy a higher
output motor.
I suspect that many others would have assumed that the motor was inadequate,
and gone looking for one with higher output.

This same example would be advantageous to a manufacturer, when specifying
motors, to select capacitor start, split-phase motors for more starting
torque instead of choosing a higher output motor (higher cost and weight,
greater energy consumption etc).

I don't understand what you were trying to say with your last sentance.

The start winding dictates which direction a split-phase motor will spin up.
I'm fairly certain that all of the split-phase motors I've enountered will
*run* in either direction, except that some motors are only provided with a
wiring tap for a single direction, but if one chose to start their
split-phase motors manually (eliminating the start winding circuit
altogether), the motors would operate equally well in either direction.

The capacitor(s) (start or run) in split-phase motors have nothing to do
with rotational direction, according to anything I've read in motor books.

--

"Bill Noble" wrote in message

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Good save, Roy. I have a lot of confidence in older motors, and they just
seem to keep running, and probably cooler internally than newer models.

As long as the mechanical parts, and the contacts of the centrifugal switch
remain in good condition, the old ones still remain almost trouble-free with
a small amount of maintenance.
When the mechanical weight/spring parts start to beome unreliable, thay can
be replaced with another mechanism with similar charcteristics.

Although I haven't needed to try it, there have numerous reports of new
contacts being installed on the switch leaves of older motors.

--

RoyJ wrote:
A friend came by with a non functioning olde 1 hp motor the other day. A
quick check showed no starting circuit (bad cap or bad centrifugal
switch). Pulled the old cap out, it is the old style aluminum case, NO
MARKINGS.

So what size cap to put in?? I just picked a ~200mfd and called it good
but I don't think that is the right answer. So what/how is the cap sized?
Too small a cap and it won't do anything useful. But is bigger better? Or
is the cap matched to the motor in a resonant circuit?

Motor in question is a Westinghouse 1hp 120/240 motor. Judging from the
grease caps, case style, paint color, etc, I'd guess 1940's, maybe early
50's.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 23:13:01 -0400, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

Good save, Roy. I have a lot of confidence in older motors, and they just
seem to keep running, and probably cooler internally than newer models.

As long as the mechanical parts, and the contacts of the centrifugal switch
remain in good condition, the old ones still remain almost trouble-free with
a small amount of maintenance.
When the mechanical weight/spring parts start to beome unreliable, thay can
be replaced with another mechanism with similar charcteristics.

Although I haven't needed to try it, there have numerous reports of new
contacts being installed on the switch leaves of older motors.

I have, on numerous occasions, touched them up with emery cloth.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

For nearly all electrical points/contacts, I try to avoid any
abrading/cutting actions that will create clearly visible scratches. Files
and sandpaper-type abrasives tend to leave fairly rough surfaces.
I'm aware that there are numerous makers of tools called "points files", but
they're kind of counterprodutive.
Very fine emery likely exists, but I haven't encountered any that I would
consider to be of powder consistency.

To me, using something that results in a rough surface on switch contacts,
evokes an image of two combs as the contact surfaces with high peaks between
valleys.
Getting something to run briefly, or for evaluation purposes is one thing..
but using abrasives on contact points shouldn't be a regular service
practice, IMO.

FWIW, when contacts have become pitted, they should be replaced, as the
gradual crown shape which helps suppress arcing has been compromised.
Generally, they will continue to erode at an advanced rate, as the surface
plating/coating has likely been burned away.
For a motor that only sees infrequent use, the erosion is likely to go
unnoticed until it eventually fails to start properly.

If I can burnish the surface with a hardwood stick dipped in deoxider,
that's about as cautious/safe as one can be with the precious metal surface
coating.

I can hardly resist buying a decent looking used motor, but my habit has
always been to disassemble used equipment before using it. A little cleaning
and oil can go a long way toward having a reliable motor when a future need
arises.

Lately, I've been trying an ultra-fine crocus cloth for various cleaning or
polishing tasks with good results. The coating on the cloth is a very fine,
powdered material. In contrast to common emery grades and other abrasives
which use granulated materials, noticable scratches aren't created by the
very fine coating.

I've read comments regarding replacement of start switch contacts over the
years, with high silver content pieces, and I think there may have been a
mention of a source of appropriately-sized new contacts not long ago, but I
don't remember if it was in RCM or the SER sci.electronics.repair group.
There are lots of sources for heavy duty, high current relay contacts as
commonly available repair parts, but I suppose that motor switch contact
replacement has often involved a bit of improvising.

--
WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"Gerald Miller" wrote in message
news On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 23:13:01 -0400, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

Although I haven't needed to try it, there have numerous reports of new
contacts being installed on the switch leaves of older motors.

I have, on numerous occasions, touched them up with emery cloth.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 01:38:40 -0400, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

snip
Getting something to run briefly, or for evaluation purposes is one thing..
but using abrasives on contact points shouldn't be a regular service
practice, IMO.

If I had a nickel for every contact I have filed through the
years...

It depends on the contacts. If they are gold plated, special
in someway, you need to be careful and try not to remove the
plating. For that type of contact I usually just settle for
cleaning them with some thin cardboard/folded over paper
maybe soaked some in rubbing alcohol. Dry everthing
thoroughly afterwards.

For anything else I have had the best luck using anywhere
from 80 to 320 grit sandpaper folded over. Most of the time
I would fold a thin piece of sandpaper over my burnishing
tools blade. I found the burnishing tools alone to be pretty
much worthless, but they work well to support a thin piece
of sandpaper. Use a pair of hemostats to clip down on the
sandpaper-burnishing metal and clean/sand away.

When you get done with the sandpaper replace it with a piece
of folded over paper and clean some more. When you can run
the paper through and it comes out clean your done. On
smaller contacts/relays you may need to tweak/adjust the
contacts a little. There should be a little bit of wiping
action. This can be tricky and if you have a working or new
relay around, it would be worth studying it first to see how
much is enough.

For the most part this would give like new performance,
often times lasting as long as a new replacement.

The problem I saw most often was that people weren't
aggressive enough and didn't take the burnt area down to new
metal. A bit of pitting doesn't bother much, don't take off
more contact than necessary either.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b