Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Bloody hell it's hot

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message
On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 13:50:21 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Stephen Howard wrote:
On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 10:49:28 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Stephen Howard wrote:
On 5 Jul 2009 00:04:08 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 23:19:14 UTC, "dennis@home"
wrote:

snip
I don't know of any person that could exceed the speed limit on a
bike.
Rubbish. My brother has been stopped by the police for exactly
that...in
a 30mph limit.

I wasn't aware it was possible, technically, for a cyclist to exceed
the speed limit as they don't have speedometers - and therefore have
no way of knowing what speed they're doing.

Ignorance is no defense.

It wouldn't be if it were mandatory to have speedometers on bicycles -
but it isn't, and therefore you'd first have to prove that every
cyclist was capable of determining their speed by other means.

Ignorance of the law or ones state with respect to it has never been a
defense.

Something of a tricky one then.
If asked in court "What speed were you doing?", your answer could be
"I do not know, I have no means of knowing and there is no legal
obligation for me to have a device fitted to my bicycle which would
indicate my speed. I estimate I was doing 5 MPH ( M'lud )".

I do have a device fitted.. a holux gps 245.
But as the clipstone forest doesn't have speed limits its irrelevant.

Its main use is as a data logger to record speed, direction and position
every second.
It makes adding gps info to photos easy.