Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Mortar is the natural enemy of pipes

aemeijers wrote:

Here's a picture of the bibs that were removed:
http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/4837/hpim0158.jpg

Here's a pic of the replacement installation
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8430/hpim0159.jpg

And here's a picture of what can happen if your dog gets too fat
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/5...revengebf3.jpg

Loved the fat dog picture. Not sure if I would have used those parts
for replacement, though. Are they even rated for outside use?

Good question. The spigot is designed for use with a garden hose, so, unless
there are folks with an unknown way of cleaning house, I presumed they were
for outside use.

I see no
flange on there at all.

Oops! Is there something about a flange that's important, legal, useful, or
deserving of artistic merit?

Changing out my outside spigots has been on my
'to do' list since I moved in 4 years ago- front one has leaky
packing, and the back one is just a pipe run through the wall with a
quarter-turn ball valve stuck on the end.

The latter is what I now have. Is there some deficiency with that
arrangement?

My plumbing skills suck, so
I was waiting till I felt rich enough to pay for a real plumber.
Along with upgrading to freeze-proof spigots (which thankfully have
good access from below), I have several other reasonably ****ant
plumbing upgrades that I need. (No SWMBO in the house makes it way
too easy to procrastinate these things....)

We don't have freezes in my neighborhood (it was 104° yesterday), so I don't
have the same concerns as you. You might start with a simple plumbing
project (like changing the spigots on the outside faucets - yeah, right) and
develop your skills through trial and error. And asking (or bitching about
the result) here.