Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bloody hell it's hot

Stephen Howard wrote:
On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 10:49:28 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Stephen Howard wrote:
On 5 Jul 2009 00:04:08 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 23:19:14 UTC, "dennis@home"
wrote:

snip
I don't know of any person that could exceed the speed limit on a bike.
Rubbish. My brother has been stopped by the police for exactly that...in
a 30mph limit.

I wasn't aware it was possible, technically, for a cyclist to exceed
the speed limit as they don't have speedometers - and therefore have
no way of knowing what speed they're doing.

Ignorance is no defense.

It wouldn't be if it were mandatory to have speedometers on bicycles -
but it isn't, and therefore you'd first have to prove that every
cyclist was capable of determining their speed by other means.

Ignorance of the law or ones state with respect to it has never been a
defense.

This from a news item about a 10mph speed limit on a seafront
promenade in Bournemouth:

"But despite launching their 'crackdown', the officials in Bournemouth
have no powers to punish speeding cyclists with fines, because
offenders do not have speedometers and so are unaware of breaking the
law."

Sound ******** to me.

It was a joint operation between the council and the police - and I
doubt that the police would pass up a chance to dish out a few fines.
This quote appears to clarify it further:

"Although there are no penalties available, those behind the
initiative hope it will make cyclists take more care when cycling
between Hengistbury Head and Sandbanks."

Some further debate:

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.ph... f6a6ff33dc2b

I still don't think that its impossible to prosecute a cyclist for
speeding: Just that they chose not to, and someone in ignorance gave
that as a reason.

Regards,