Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bloody hell it's hot

Stephen Howard wrote:
On 5 Jul 2009 00:04:08 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 23:19:14 UTC, "dennis@home"
wrote:

snip
I don't know of any person that could exceed the speed limit on a bike.

Rubbish. My brother has been stopped by the police for exactly that...in
a 30mph limit.

I wasn't aware it was possible, technically, for a cyclist to exceed
the speed limit as they don't have speedometers - and therefore have
no way of knowing what speed they're doing.

Ignorance is no defense.

Theres an old anecdote about e American in an ageing Model -T pulled up
for having no working speedo, to which he replied that he had a
perfectly reasonable way of assessing speed

"At 10mph, the hood starts to shake, at 20mph, I get a wobble in the
steering, at 30mph I get the doors rattling, and 40mph is as fast as the
old bus will go"

;-)

This from a news item about a 10mph speed limit on a seafront
promenade in Bournemouth:

"But despite launching their 'crackdown', the officials in Bournemouth
have no powers to punish speeding cyclists with fines, because
offenders do not have speedometers and so are unaware of breaking the
law."

Sound ******** to me.

I don't think the highway code specifically addresses cyclists with
regard to the speed limits - though it does say that they should obey
'all traffic signs'.

Indeed. Though few ever do.

IIRC someone was even hauled up for exceeding the 30mph speed limit on a
horse..

Regards,