Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Mortar is the natural enemy of pipes

HeyBub wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
75-120 years ago, mortar was different. But I suspect there is some
other uncontrolled variable at play here. Where I mostly grew up
(Indiana), and where I have spent the last 29 years (SW MI), I have
never seen this occur, and hose bibs, sillcocks, whatever the heck the
proper name is, are routinely mudded in place by the bricklayer as he
does those courses. Of course, most of them in my era were not
galvanized pipe, or even copper. That actual bronze fitting is almost
like a fire plug, and extends well into the wall. This is even more
true now that everyone fits freeze-proof fittings, which are even
longer.
I found the OP's post a tad confusing- he had to open the wall the get
to the elbow/tee and the feed pipe? Is the spigot high on the wall or
something? Almost without exception, I have only seen them placed
through the band joist, right above the sill plate, so you COULD get
to them easily later. I admit (now that I am on wrong side of 50),
that having it up high would be Real Nice sometimes, just like for
outlets, but I hardly ever see them like that. I suppose best way to
do that would be with an external riser, with a drain valve down low+
an internal cutoff valve in basement, so you could drain them for
winter. (Water pipes in an outside wall were always to be avoided,
they told me way back when...) I suppose that if you could spot your
outside spigots so they backed up to dead spaces/utility closets, or
someplace you could provide an access plate within the heated
envelope, you could place them as high as you want.

Here's a picture of the bibs that were removed:
http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/4837/hpim0158.jpg

Here's a pic of the replacement installation
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8430/hpim0159.jpg

And here's a picture of what can happen if your dog gets too fat
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/5...revengebf3.jpg

Loved the fat dog picture. Not sure if I would have used those parts for
replacement, though. Are they even rated for outside use? I see no
flange on there at all. Changing out my outside spigots has been on my
'to do' list since I moved in 4 years ago- front one has leaky packing,
and the back one is just a pipe run through the wall with a quarter-turn
ball valve stuck on the end. My plumbing skills suck, so I was waiting
till I felt rich enough to pay for a real plumber. Along with upgrading
to freeze-proof spigots (which thankfully have good access from below),
I have several other reasonably ****ant plumbing upgrades that I need.
(No SWMBO in the house makes it way too easy to procrastinate these
things....)

--
aem sends...