Posted to alt.home.repair
clot clot is offline

Default Mortar is the natural enemy of pipes

Jon Danniken wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

Both Harbor Freight and Home Depot are open today. As are the day
laborers in the HD parking lot. I even had one youngster stop me as I
was leaving HD to ask if I needed help putting the 60-pound bag of
mortar in my truck. He was either desperate for a tip or I look more
feeble than I really am.

I have noticed that the 60 pound bags of concrete mix are heavier
than they used to be, so I blame the metric system.

Quite interesting; on a little island on the righthand side of The Pond,
after EU administrators said that they did not intend to disallow
traditional units of measure, when going to the market we are now able to
buy a lb. of mushrooms or whatever and that traders are proud to offer a bag
of tomatoes (or other items) for sale. A victory, I think.

I do know what you mean about weights getting heavier. A neighbour was
getting rid of paving slabs to reconfigure their backyard. Our houses were
built at the same time by the same builder. The slabs are in the same
condition as ours and my wife wanted to extend the patio. Got our elder kid
to help me lift some to the front garden which I freely admit challenged me.
I asked the younger lad (23) to get them into the yard, he's keen on phyical
fitness and part of his business. To date there's one that he has not
managed to move.

I'm guessing that I will have to shift that one!.