Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] is offline

Default Creating dead zone around AC unit

"Bud" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

My central air conditioning unit is located in a spot where the eaves are
so deep that even after lots of rain, it's still bone dry, but bindweed
finds the area delightful and it's eating my air conditioner. I thought
of
covering the whole area with plastic and then a few inches of stones
right
up to the foundation, but I have another concern. In winter, it's not
uncommon for several feet of snow to drift into that corner. When it
melts, I'm not sure I want that much water ponding in the plastic and
overflowing along the edges near the cinder block. The basement's always
been dry, but still, something about the plastic idea seems iffy. So,
some
sort of landscape fabric seems like a better option.

Regardless of the material on top, I'm thinking of edging it with Trex
buried with just enough above ground to contain 2-3 inches of stones.

Comments?

I'd be helpful to have more information on the type of bindweed. Tell us.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_bindweed
and other types.
--
Bud

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convolvulus

No idea which species, no need to find out in order to solve the problem.