Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Default Creating dead zone around AC unit

My central air conditioning unit is located in a spot where the eaves are so
deep that even after lots of rain, it's still bone dry, but bindweed finds
the area delightful and it's eating my air conditioner. I thought of
covering the whole area with plastic and then a few inches of stones right
up to the foundation, but I have another concern. In winter, it's not
uncommon for several feet of snow to drift into that corner. When it melts,
I'm not sure I want that much water ponding in the plastic and overflowing
along the edges near the cinder block. The basement's always been dry, but
still, something about the plastic idea seems iffy. So, some sort of
landscape fabric seems like a better option.

Regardless of the material on top, I'm thinking of edging it with Trex
buried with just enough above ground to contain 2-3 inches of stones.

Comments?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
[...]

Agent Orange or the current commercial equivalent?

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

"LouB" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
[...]

I avoid weed killers, since so many animals use my yard as a dinner table,
but I might make an exception in this instance because once the area is
covered, nothing will be eating there unless there's a type of animal which
eats stones the size of ping pong balls.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

LouB wrote:

Agent Orange or the current commercial equivalent?

what IS the current commerical equiv that you can buy
at Lowe's?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 16:20:26 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

[...]

How about just grading the area so that water runs off the plastic
rather than ponding. Direct it away from the house.

If you wanted to get fancy, install a french drain system.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
[...]

A course or three of paver blocks is a zillion times better than spending
your life cussing small stones.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

brooklyn1 wrote:
[...]

Landscaping fabric allows water to go
through and inhibits weed growth. It
can be put under a layer of gravel
instead of plastic.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

[...]

That's an interesting idea. Could be disassembled like Legos if necessary,
too.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Art Todesco wrote:
brooklyn1 wrote:
[...]

Why not a precast concrete or recycled pop bottle AC pad, tilted
slightly away from the house to prevent ponding? They come in several
sizes, and can pretty easily be slipped under the AC unit without
disconnecting it. May need a few shims under the coil box to keep it
level, but that is easy enough. If there is slack in the cables and
hoses, also a good idea to raise the box up a few inches.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Art Todesco wrote:
brooklyn1 wrote:
[...]

That's what I have, one of those cast fiberglass like pads, I always thought
that was the manditory default, had one at my last house too. I'm sure it
would require a few strong backs to insert a pad after the fact:
http://i39.tinypic.com/m75dhc.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
[...]

You are right about the plastic being a bad idea. We have landscape
fabric, available in different strengths, with river rock on top and
used in similar areas where nothing grows. We have Trex on our finger
dock, about 7 years old. Full sun, all day, Florida. Concrete pavers
or black vinyl lawn edging work nicely around the rock and contain it well.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Hmm. A French drain. Does that mean it only works 30 hours a
week, drinks up all your red wine, and has a mistress on the
side?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Charles" wrote in message

How about just grading the area so that water runs off the
plastic
rather than ponding. Direct it away from the house.

If you wanted to get fancy, install a french drain system.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Art Todesco wrote:
brooklyn1 wrote:
[...]

I've got the same type of pad, but still, I'd like a barren area for a foot
or two around the thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"LouB" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
[...]

And if there is you might hope the bad stuff gets it:-))
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Hmm. A French drain. Does that mean it only works 30 hours a
week, drinks up all your red wine, and has a mistress on the
side?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

So the jerks are coming to watch now. Still ostentatiously wearing your
religion on your sleeve, like Elmer Gantry, while mocking a people you
don't even know? Your a class . . ., make that a half class act Mormon.
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh geez. MORE chemicals. No wonder our water is pollluted!
Rather amusing when one poster mentions the availability of certain
types of chemicals and then says " ... if memory serves me"! Remember
that DDT was a wonder chemical back in the 1940s and 50s? Now
considered posonous and having a long persistence. Maybe that got to
him either before birth or afterwards? At the rate we uses herbicides
and pesticides none of us will have any memory ....... at least those
we can recollect using!
BTW which chemical/s is it that is affecting human sperm and or
causing fewer males to be born.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote in message
http://i39.tinypic.com/m75dhc.jpg

whose that pussy in the window?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
Han Han is offline

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

[...]

We killed a law area once with newspaper. Thick layer, hold down with
rocks. I have to do something like you want in the corner where our AC
is.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Han wrote:
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

[...]

Have heard that one before and it works.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

"Han" wrote in message
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

[...]

I use newspaper in some of my vegetable & flower beds. Works, but it'll be
gone in a season. Not appropriate for the area I'm talking about here.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Art Todesco wrote:
brooklyn1 wrote:
[...]

Then I think the patio pavers would be the best solution. I just string
trim, would still need to edge around patio blocks or anything else, but
I've no idea if you have lawn. I'd choose most anything before small
stones... a plastic edging filled with pine bark nuggets like I have
prevents weeds (I have barrier cloth under the nuggets). I had to install
the fence as that is the third shrub, deer got the previous two... nothing
else works other than fencing.

Originally I had no fence, a week later I had no shrub, that little cyprus
is long gone:
http://i39.tinypic.com/2pzf8yd.jpg

You can use 6X6 landscape ties too... one morning I woke up to shrubs
munched down to nubs, so that's why I now have fence all around:
http://i44.tinypic.com/119qjya.jpg

Once the shrubs grow and the galvanized wire fencing dulls it's not very
noticeable:
http://i43.tinypic.com/zsscw1.jpg

I learned long ago not to skimp on landscaping lumber/materials, I hate do
overs.

I spent a fortune on every deer repellant on the market, spent many, many
hours spraying, even in fridgid winter weather, and then having to wash the
stink off my clothes and myself... all to no avail... only a fence works.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

"skeeter" wrote

"brooklyn1" wrote:

http://i39.tinypic.com/m75dhc.jpg

whose that pussy in the window?

Finally someone perceptive.
That's The Jilly, the world's only MENSA cat:
http://i44.tinypic.com/2j28col.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

[...]

I'm just trying to imagine an AC compressor mounted on cinder blocks. Won't
happen for me...
--
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
Bud Bud is offline

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

[...]

I'd be helpful to have more information on the type of bindweed. Tell us.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_bindweed
and other types.
--
Bud
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bud" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convolvulus

No idea which species, no need to find out in order to solve the problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convolvulus

No idea which species, no need to find out in order to solve the
problem.

That's the weed that is giving you trouble? We used to call it "pispot".
The Dutch spelling doesn't hide the meaning. Never knew it was any
trouble, just a weed.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Han" wrote in message
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convolvulus

No idea which species, no need to find out in order to solve the
problem.

That's the weed that is giving you trouble? We used to call it "pispot".
The Dutch spelling doesn't hide the meaning. Never knew it was any
trouble, just a weed.

Yeah, it's one of those - whichever one grows all over western NY. It's
actually a good ground cover, as long as there's nothing nearby which you do
NOT want it to wrap itself around, like your favorite plants, shrubs, air
conditioning unit, car or children.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Kept attorneys out of the law area?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Han" wrote in message

We killed a law area once with newspaper. Thick layer, hold
down with
rocks. I have to do something like you want in the corner
where our AC
is.

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

LouB wrote:
Han wrote:

We killed a law area once with newspaper. Thick layer, hold down
with rocks. I have to do something like you want in the corner
where our AC is.

Have heard that one before and it works.

Corrugated cardboard also works, with the added benefit of lasting a couple
of years.

Jon