Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
LouB[_2_] LouB[_2_] is offline

Default Creating dead zone around AC unit

Han wrote:
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

My central air conditioning unit is located in a spot where the eaves
are so deep that even after lots of rain, it's still bone dry, but
bindweed finds the area delightful and it's eating my air conditioner.
I thought of covering the whole area with plastic and then a few
inches of stones right up to the foundation, but I have another
concern. In winter, it's not uncommon for several feet of snow to
drift into that corner. When it melts, I'm not sure I want that much
water ponding in the plastic and overflowing along the edges near the
cinder block. The basement's always been dry, but still, something
about the plastic idea seems iffy. So, some sort of landscape fabric
seems like a better option.

Regardless of the material on top, I'm thinking of edging it with Trex
buried with just enough above ground to contain 2-3 inches of stones.

Comments?

We killed a law area once with newspaper. Thick layer, hold down with
rocks. I have to do something like you want in the corner where our AC
is.

Have heard that one before and it works.