Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default NiCd vs. NiMh

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 7/3/2009 9:28 AM dpb spake thus:

WhiteTea77581 wrote:

On Jul 1, 11:46 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Read the following for everything you could ever want to know about
batteries:http://www.batteryuniversity.com/index.htm

Thanks, the site is very informative.

Yeah, it is but it surely could use a good technical editor/editing.
The non sequiturs (the Egyptians weren't "prehistoric", there's
actually quite a bit of their history albeit not complete) and other
odd constructions/phrasings and the occasional units problem (at least
one case of "current" of "1C or 2C" as only one example), etc., really
detract from the overall document.

I agree with you, being an (out-of-work) copy editor myself. Many small
annoyances there.

Regarding the 1C, 2C, etc., I take the "C" in those cases to represent
the current capacity of the particular battery, no?

It wasn't perfectly clear, actually, in the particular place I noted, at
least w/o more in-depth reading, just what actually was the intent.

"Current" should, of course, be in A, while "C" is coulombs, or charge.
(And, if one's forgotten, 1A -- 1C/sec).

It wasn't entirely obvious to me while simply scanning whether he was
intending to mean a limiting total charge storage capacity because of an
energy storage limit (which would be units of C, but not a current) or a
limiting rate of discharge (which would be current, but not units of C).