Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Celebrate our freedoms this 4th of July

Han wrote:
Chuck wrote in
:

dadiOH wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Bring your library card, the FBI may ask you for it.

Just be careful of the books you withdraw with it. The Koran and
anything by Karl Marx are definite no-nos.

Not so. Actually they are on the best seller list since January.
Just don't buy a copy of the Constitution or anything written by a
Patriot.

Well, this is one of many references to the Declaration of
Independence: http://www.ushistory.org/Declaration/document/

Of course there is a lengthy document on Wikipedia as well.

I still think that respect for others' opinions and rights is as
important a basis for human relations.

Now, I have my own opinions ...

An "opinion" is a belief with no substantial facts behind it.* Many of us
are don't care what others "believe" and we don't want to hear about it. I'm
only interested in what someone can prove.

By "prove" I mean present sufficient evidence that compels a rational mind
in the probable truth of the proposition.

Here's an example: I'm agnostic on the concept of UFOs, although,
mathematically, I tend to hold that the chance of an intelligent lifeform
monitoring us is vanishingly small. In spite of that, I could easily be
convinced as to their existence.

Put a piece of one in my hand.

Simple.

Conversely, no amount of personal anecdotes involving uncountably many anal
probes is a credible proof path.

--------
*"Opinion = a belief held with confidence but not substantiated by a
positive knowledge or proof."