David W.E. Roberts

Default Immitation Makita's

See http://www.agandr.co.uk/news.htm.
This has a request for information on fake tools.

"Michael McNeil" wrote in message
om...
Just thought you might want to know that a firm has set itself up
making look-alike Makitas. I bought a 24v drill with two batteries and
two salient points hit me once I got over the price (£75.)

There was no guaranttee or instruction bumph and the batteries looked
cheap (aka Blackspur.) Someone else pointed out that Makita's have the
name embossed on the case. I should have hit on another: it was
supplied with a set of driver bits that looked like they'd been made
in a back-yard in India.

You can tell just by looking, that a set like that will last all of
half a day if you never use them. Not the sort of thing Makita will
supply at all. I must try them on a real job.

Quite a good looking tool (and possibly even by the original
maunfacturer as a moonlighter.) The downside is there is no Makita
warranty and they will break down sooner rather than later. On the
other hand if they are quite close patterns then they aint toys.