Michael McNeil

Default Immitation Makita's

Just thought you might want to know that a firm has set itself up
making look-alike Makitas. I bought a 24v drill with two batteries and
two salient points hit me once I got over the price (£75.)

There was no guaranttee or instruction bumph and the batteries looked
cheap (aka Blackspur.) Someone else pointed out that Makita's have the
name embossed on the case. I should have hit on another: it was
supplied with a set of driver bits that looked like they'd been made
in a back-yard in India.

You can tell just by looking, that a set like that will last all of
half a day if you never use them. Not the sort of thing Makita will
supply at all. I must try them on a real job.

Quite a good looking tool (and possibly even by the original
maunfacturer as a moonlighter.) The downside is there is no Makita
warranty and they will break down sooner rather than later. On the
other hand if they are quite close patterns then they aint toys.
Howard Neil

Quite a good looking tool (and possibly even by the original
maunfacturer as a moonlighter.) The downside is there is no Makita
warranty and they will break down sooner rather than later. On the
other hand if they are quite close patterns then they aint toys.

No Makita warranty? I see that as a plus. I will not touch anything made by
Makita because of their lousy/non existent after sales service (I am
referring to Makita themselves, not their resellers who can be superb).

Howard Neil

ARWadsworth

"Howard Neil" hneil@REMOVE TO REPLY.co.uk wrote in message
Quite a good looking tool (and possibly even by the original
maunfacturer as a moonlighter.) The downside is there is no Makita
warranty and they will break down sooner rather than later. On the
other hand if they are quite close patterns then they aint toys.

No Makita warranty? I see that as a plus. I will not touch anything made

by
Makita because of their lousy/non existent after sales service (I am
referring to Makita themselves, not their resellers who can be superb).

Howard Neil

They are rebadged NuTools. I have been offered them in Doncaster, Sheffield,
Manchester and Blackpool. The sellers live in a caravan and will drive an
Audi or Merc (I think you know who I mean)

Adam

IMM

"Michael McNeil" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Where did you buy it?

---

Howard Neil

They are rebadged NuTools. I have been offered them in Doncaster,
Sheffield,
Manchester and Blackpool. The sellers live in a caravan and will drive an
Audi or Merc (I think you know who I mean)

Adam

Yes, I know who you mean. That means that customer service will, at best, be
on a par with Makita.

Howard Neil

Michael McNeil

"IMM" wrote in message ...

Where did you buy it?

A lad at work brought about half a dozen in along with a radial arm
chop-saw that had a laser indicator for the blade. Loads of teeth in
the blade too. He wanted £170 or so for that.

I could have my money back I suppose but I cooked 2 batteries on the
cheapo 18v I already have. I find it is the charger that gives the
trouble with these cheap tools. (I walked into the house I was
charging the battery at and thought "Bloody hell what is that painter
using?") (Meanwhile the painter was thinking: "What has that joiner
been cutting?")

If I didn't have a pretty good chopsaw I seldom use, I'd snatch up the
other at that price. Fiddling with the work-piece to get the pencil
line at the cut, doubles the time spent on an ordinary chop-saw.
Michael McNeil

"Howard Neil" hneil@REMOVE TO REPLY.co.uk wrote in message .. .

No Makita warranty? I see that as a plus. I will not touch anything made by
Makita because of their lousy/non existent after sales service (I am
referring to Makita themselves, not their resellers who can be superb).

Don't these "big name" firms operate like car manufacturers? They have
franchised dealerships and train the dealers -which accounts for some
of the high price of the tools.
Andrew McKay

On 14 Jul 2003 22:37:40 -0700, (Michael
McNeil) wrote:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=651&productId=49884&Trail=C$catgroup_i d_parent=3880

We really must educate you in the ways of
http://tinyurl.com

A major problem with extended URLs is that you get line wrap in many
newsreaders, making the URL unclickable. The tinyurl.com web site is
brilliant at solving this problem.

Sorry, didn't mean to criticise but if you haven't heard of
tinyurl.com before then it's worth making a note of it.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Michael McNeil wrote:
If I didn't have a pretty good chopsaw I seldom use, I'd snatch up the
other at that price. Fiddling with the work-piece to get the pencil
line at the cut, doubles the time spent on an ordinary chop-saw.

170 quid is a lot for a chop saw unless it's a quality make. See B&Q etc
for cheaper ones also with lasers.

--
*When I'm not in my right mind, my left mind gets pretty crowded *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
David Hearn

McNeil) wrote:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...ay?storeId=100

01&langId=-1&catalogId=651&productId=49884&Trail=C$catgroup_i d_parent=3880

We really must educate you in the ways of http://tinyurl.com

A major problem with extended URLs is that you get line wrap in many
newsreaders, making the URL unclickable. The tinyurl.com web site is
brilliant at solving this problem.

Sorry, didn't mean to criticise but if you haven't heard of
tinyurl.com before then it's worth making a note of it.

The only thing I don't like about Tiny URL is you have no idea what domain
you're going to. There have been cases of people creating tiny URLs to
things which would quite possibly start the warning bells on a corporate
firewall - I just like to know where I'm clicking. Too often I've seen
people say: Take a look at http://tinyurl.com/WHATEVER with no description
of what is meant to be there (let alone a domain name - though of course,
with tinyurl you can put whatever description you want in the post and still
point it elsewhere).

Personally, I would prefer to have to handle split line URLs than use
tinyurl - putting both in would satisfy me...I think it is Make A Shorter
Link which actually gives a bounce page which warns you where you're going -
that would be okay for me too.

Just my thoughts on tinyurl

Dave Plowman

In article ,
David Hearn wrote:
Personally, I would prefer to have to handle split line URLs than use
tinyurl - putting both in would satisfy me...I think it is Make A
Shorter Link which actually gives a bounce page which warns you where
you're going - that would be okay for me too.

If you put the ULR in brackets http://joe.bloggs most readers should
cope with split lines.

--
*Why is it that most nudists are people you don't want to see naked?*

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Andrew McKay

On Tue, 15 Jul 03 09:11:58 GMT, (dmc) wrote:

Personally, I would prefer to have to handle split line URLs than use
tinyurl - putting both in would satisfy me...I think it is Make A Shorter
Link which actually gives a bounce page which warns you where you're going -
that would be okay for me too.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?O3E224545

in this example.

That looks like a good suggestion - have you thought of suggesting it
to the owner of tinyurl.com?

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk

John Rumm

David Hearn wrote:

capacity) or cheaper cartridges (and almost no ink at all). On paper it was
one of the cheapest to run budget (?100) printers. As its turned out,
they're going through cartridges very quickly compared to their old one
(Stylus 660?). What's even worse is the cartridges have a chip in them
which stops refilling.

One tip - try not turning the printer on an off too often - it does a
cleaning cycle every time you do it which uses ink. On the smaller
printers I have known people use a whole cartrgidge and only print a
handfull of pages because of this.

The chips are a PITA - but there are "compatible" carts available now.
Also it looks like the practice of chipping carts will shortly be
outlawed by european competiton legislation! (Wow a bit of euro babble
that is actually of benefit! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Mike Ring

Dave Plowman wrote in
:

If you put the ULR in brackets http://joe.bloggs most readers should
cope with split lines.

Taht particular link worked for me, but I've got used to looking on the end
to see whats missing if the link doesn't work, and adding thalast digits by
hand or C & P.

Perhaps some folks don't realise that a long link may wrap; ISTR it took me
some time - now I prefer the manual approach

Mike R

chris French

In message , Dave Plowman
writes
In article ,
David Hearn wrote:
Personally, I would prefer to have to handle split line URLs than use
tinyurl - putting both in would satisfy me...I think it is Make A
Shorter Link which actually gives a bounce page which warns you where
you're going - that would be okay for me too.

If you put the ULR in brackets http://joe.bloggs most readers should
cope with split lines.

They should indeed. and happily mine does :-)

But I believe a certain very common program doesn't like to follow such
accepted standards so it's users have to suffer these problems......
--
Chris French, Leeds
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Huge wrote:
If you put the ULR in brackets http://joe.bloggs most readers should
cope with split lines.

Wossa "ULR"? )

Unwrapping Line Resolver?

All I can say to you is PAR.

--
*Rehab is for quitters

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
dmc

In article ,
Andrew McKay wrote:

That looks like a good suggestion - have you thought of suggesting it
to the owner of tinyurl.com?

I haven't, no.

I have a feeling that makeashorterlink has been around longer than tinyurl.com
but I may be wrong. I can't believe that they are not aware of each other
so I assume they have chosen to differ in this way for a reason.

Each to their own and all that.

Darren

Gnube

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:52:12 +0100, "PM"
wrote:

Print cartidges supplied with new printers are not necessarily full.

However they often are, and sometimes even overfilled (certainly in
the early marketing days), as a cynical ploy to get early adopters to
spread the good word to others - they only find out it's not so good
after suggesting it as a purchase to others sadly. Such are the games
that get played these days in the wonderful world of commerce! ;O)

Take Care,
Gnube
I don't want to win the lottery I just want to win a barn full of seasoned timber! ;O)
Michael McNeil

Dave Plowman wrote in message ...

If you put the ULR in brackets http://joe.bloggs most readers should
cope with split lines.

This is a test of that idea which if it works is a good un:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=651&productId=49884&Trail=C$catgroup_i d_parent=3880

I read directly from Google. Normally they are good with such things
but they have suffered a few glitches lately. Now I'm off to the B&Q
site to examine their cheapos. Speaking of which there is a chop saw
in the Argos site for £15. It has a more powerful motor than the one
I'm using at work which is ace for anything up to 4x3 -I think. I
wonder what those will cut.

Owain

"Michael McNeil" wrote
| This is a test of that idea which if it works is a good un:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...ay?storeId=100
01&langId=-1&catalogId=651&productId=49884&Trail=C$catgroup_i d_parent=3880

But much easier all round if you put www.argos.co.uk item number whatever.

Most people have the intelligence to put the item number in the Search box
on the Argos website. It also gets round all problems of session-IDs and
allows people to find it easily in the printed catalogue too.

Owain

IMM

"Michael McNeil" wrote in message
m...
Dave Plowman wrote in message

If you put the ULR in brackets http://joe.bloggs most readers should
cope with split lines.

This is a test of that idea which if it works is a good un:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...ay?storeId=100
01&langId=-1&catalogId=651&productId=49884&Trail=C$catgroup_i d_parent=3880

I read directly from Google. Normally they are good with such things
but they have suffered a few glitches lately. Now I'm off to the B&Q
site to examine their cheapos. Speaking of which there is a chop saw
in the Argos site for £15. It has a more powerful motor than the one
I'm using at work which is ace for anything up to 4x3 -I think. I
wonder what those will cut.

Today I was talking a man who very recently was a manager in a B&Q
Warehouse. I asked him about the PP Pro range, which appears good value and
decently made. He said he said many of the drill are made by Roybi, a very
good make, and all PP Pro machines are made by good makers, that is why they
have the confidence to give a guarantee of 3 years. I asked about returns
because of failure of any description (not because Daddy didn't want one for
his birthday), and he said no less than Bosch and the likes. They will
honour the guarantee if a journeyman professional uses it, but not for
continuous site work, or any work on a site or industrial installation. He
said in most cases no one asks, unless the machine clearly has been abused.

BTW, Wickes are having a run on a 100 bar pressure washer for just under
£35, with a 3 metre hose, lance, and detergent bottle, and a 2 year
guarantee. A good deal. Appears to be a either a rebadged Karcher or Alti
(sp?), and says made in the EU. The cheapo B&Q is at just under £40 and no
extras, and I think a 2 metre hose, which is useless at that length.

---

Noel Hegan

"IMM" wrote in message ...
[...]

Since when has Ryobi been "a very good make"???
Unless you mean a good make for the price and origin (PRC)?
IMHO Ryobi are way down the scale, certainly near the bottom.
Very good makes are Makita, Panasonic, Festool, Metabo etc.
When the Ryobi factories are churning out millions of tools per year
for a cost of less than $10 US per unit, it's not hard to give a 3
year warranty.
Rgds

Noel

noel dot hegan at virgin dot net
IMM

"Noel Hegan" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Since when have they not?

Unless you mean a good make for the price and origin (PRC)?

Could be.

IMHO Ryobi are way down the scale, certainly near the bottom.

They are no NuTools that is for sure, and I rate them above B&D.

Very good makes are Makita, Panasonic, Festool, Metabo etc.
When the Ryobi factories are churning out millions of tools per year
for a cost of less than $10 US per unit, it's not hard to give a 3
year warranty.

Toyota churn out cars by the millions and yet can keep quality up above Merc
and BMW. Quantity does not mean poor quality.

---

Michael McNeil

Noel Hegan wrote:
Since when has Ryobi been "a very good make"???
Unless you mean a good make for the price and origin (PRC)?

I think they make all sorts of qualities according to price. But that
there 'good' stuff is the equal of any maker.

I've just got the one Ryobi tool - a re-chargeable mini hobby drill,
which despite a lot of use is still on its original batteries after 5
years or so. Although it wasn't that expensive and bought from a shed I'd
say it's of the highest quality.

I suppose I am fairly happy with it. Not too happy with the vendor as
he never came back to me with an appology or anything. He probably got
hold of them with as much as he could afford, thinking like me, they
were genuine. I suppose he can't really afford to reimburse me. Which
bodes well for when it breaks!

Worse I just found out there is a trade supply shop not too far from
me. I might have got an excellent alternative from there. I'll have a
nose tomorrow. Nothing like having it bent over nowt is there?

I always thought Ryobi was in the top quality end of the scale.

Paul Mc Cann

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:37:04 +0100, Dave Plowman
wrote:

In article ,
Noel Hegan wrote:
Since when has Ryobi been "a very good make"???
Unless you mean a good make for the price and origin (PRC)?

I think they make all sorts of qualities according to price. But that
there 'good' stuff is the equal of any maker.

I've just got the one Ryobi tool - a re-chargeable mini hobby drill,
which despite a lot of use is still on its original batteries after 5
years or so. Although it wasn't that expensive and bought from a shed I'd
say it's of the highest quality.

Ryobi make tools in America and Japan.

The American versions, IME are c**p

The Japanese IME are far superior.

Paul Mc Cann
Noel Hegan

Paul Mc Cann wrote in message . ..
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:37:04 +0100, Dave Plowman
wrote:

In article ,
Noel Hegan wrote:
Since when has Ryobi been "a very good make"???
Unless you mean a good make for the price and origin (PRC)?

I think they make all sorts of qualities according to price. But that
there 'good' stuff is the equal of any maker.

I've just got the one Ryobi tool - a re-chargeable mini hobby drill,
which despite a lot of use is still on its original batteries after 5
years or so. Although it wasn't that expensive and bought from a shed I'd
say it's of the highest quality.

Ryobi make tools in America and Japan.

The American versions, IME are c**p

The Japanese IME are far superior.

Paul Mc Cann

Paul, I'm pretty sure all Ryobi models sold here are made in China.
Agree with you that most things manufactured in Japan are generally
superior.