Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Tips for releasing paint sealed sash windows

Malcolm wrote:
larkim wrote:
Its hot. I'd like to open the windows at the top (to stop my children
falling out from their bedrooms accidentally). I have sash windows
that are painted shut at the top (possibly inside and out).

Where do I start?!?

TIA!

Matt

Stanley knife down the joints on either side to cut through the paint,
then a crowbar from outside at the top of the sash to lever it down.
This is the mirror of what I do to release a bottom sash.

Basically do what you can to release the stiction caused by the paint
between the sash and the frame and then use brute force to move the sash

Malcolm

The shape of a Stanley knife means it goes in at an angle, causing
unnecessary damage to either the beads or the sashes. A paint scraper is
your only man.