Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT--USB turntable

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 21:51:38 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 6/29/2009 8:37 PM Pdk Pdk spake thus:

Looking to buy my brother something to record his old vinyl
collection onto a computer.
A local store has a closeout sale on Ion USB turntables for $75 each.
As a technical weakling, I'm consulting y'all to see if anyone's
tried this unit or has any ideas regarding what I should be looking for.
It seems like an easy to use unit, but I don't want to buy the wrong
thing.

I'd be skeptical. Sounds like it might be a real POS.

Why not just get a *real* turntable (there are still ****loads of them
out there for sale) and run it through any inexpensive receiver? You'll
get much better results that way.

(But no, I haven't actually tried these devices.)

That won't get the music onto CD or MP3. However, there are software
packages that allow you to pluf a standard turntable into a standard
sound card to do the deed.