Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT--USB turntable

Looking to buy my brother something to record his old vinyl
collection onto a computer.
A local store has a closeout sale on Ion USB turntables for $75 each.
As a technical weakling, I'm consulting y'all to see if anyone's
tried this unit or has any ideas regarding what I should be looking for.
It seems like an easy to use unit, but I don't want to buy the wrong
thing.
Thanks for any advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2009 8:37 PM Pdk Pdk spake thus:

Looking to buy my brother something to record his old vinyl
collection onto a computer.
A local store has a closeout sale on Ion USB turntables for $75 each.
As a technical weakling, I'm consulting y'all to see if anyone's
tried this unit or has any ideas regarding what I should be looking for.
It seems like an easy to use unit, but I don't want to buy the wrong
thing.

I'd be skeptical. Sounds like it might be a real POS.

Why not just get a *real* turntable (there are still ****loads of them
out there for sale) and run it through any inexpensive receiver? You'll
get much better results that way.

(But no, I haven't actually tried these devices.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pdk Pdk wrote:
Looking to buy my brother something to record his old vinyl
collection onto a computer.
A local store has a closeout sale on Ion USB turntables for $75 each.
As a technical weakling, I'm consulting y'all to see if anyone's
tried this unit or has any ideas regarding what I should be looking for.
It seems like an easy to use unit, but I don't want to buy the wrong
thing.
Thanks for any advice.

It appears to be a pretty slick unit. It sells for $150.00
straight from the manufacturer. I wouldn't mind having one.

http://www.ionaudio.com/ionttusb

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pdk Pdk wrote:
Looking to buy my brother something to record his old vinyl
collection onto a computer.
A local store has a closeout sale on Ion USB turntables for $75 each.
As a technical weakling, I'm consulting y'all to see if anyone's
tried this unit or has any ideas regarding what I should be looking
for. It seems like an easy to use unit, but I don't want to buy the
wrong thing.

Normally, the output from a turntable has to be amplified to record from it
via computer. If not built in (rarely) the amp can be obtained by piping
from turntable to a stereo then from stereo to computer. See my dandies in
sig for more info.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote:
(stuff omitted)
Not quite. You really need equalization. That's why you must run it
through
an RCIA preamp, or as another said, through a receiver (which has the
RCIA equalizer). I'm sure there may be software with built in equalization
to make it work directly, but I haven't seen it. I briefly checked Adobe
Audition and didn't see it there.

Oops, I meant RIAA. RCIA is from
different life.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Art Todesco wrote:
Art Todesco wrote:
(stuff omitted)
Not quite. You really need equalization. That's why you must run it
through
an RCIA preamp, or as another said, through a receiver (which has the
RCIA equalizer). I'm sure there may be software with built in equalization
to make it work directly, but I haven't seen it. I briefly checked Adobe
Audition and didn't see it there.

Oops, I meant RIAA. RCIA is from
different life.

Adult convert to Catholicism, are you?
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jun 29, 11:37*pm, (Pdk Pdk) wrote:
* * *Looking to buy my brother something to record his old vinyl
collection onto a computer.
A local store has a closeout sale on Ion USB turntables for $75 each. * *
* * * As a technical weakling, I'm consulting y'all to see if anyone's
tried this unit or has any ideas regarding what I should be looking for.
It seems like an easy to use unit, but I don't want to buy the wrong
thing.
* * * *Thanks for any advice.

I'm just guessing that for $75 you're not going to get a really high
quality turntable. He'd probably be better served by spending his
money on a really good sound card for his computer and using whatever
turntable he already has, unless it's a real POS.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 6/29/2009 8:37 PM Pdk Pdk spake thus:

Looking to buy my brother something to record his old vinyl
collection onto a computer.
A local store has a closeout sale on Ion USB turntables for $75 each.
As a technical weakling, I'm consulting y'all to see if anyone's
tried this unit or has any ideas regarding what I should be looking for.
It seems like an easy to use unit, but I don't want to buy the wrong
thing.

I'd be skeptical. Sounds like it might be a real POS.

Why not just get a *real* turntable (there are still ****loads of them out
there for sale) and run it through any inexpensive receiver? You'll get
much better results that way.

(But no, I haven't actually tried these devices.)

"Sounds like it might be a real POS"

Great words of wisdom from someone who states he hasn't tries either of the
devices!!

I have the ION and got it for Christmas three yr. ago from my children.
They have been around for a long time and the price hasn't changed much in
that time ($150.00 range). The ION works well, but consider the fact that
after you have copied all your vinyl you have a very expensive dust
collector of the shelf. Mine is !!

Bill in Plano

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/30/2009 8:47 AM Bill Hall spake thus:

"Sounds like it might be a real POS"

Great words of wisdom from someone who states he hasn't tries either of the
devices!!

I admitted as much; what's your problem?

I have the ION and got it for Christmas three yr. ago from my children.
They have been around for a long time and the price hasn't changed much in
that time ($150.00 range). The ION works well, but consider the fact that
after you have copied all your vinyl you have a very expensive dust
collector of the shelf. Mine is !!

Well, then, if not a POS (I'll have to take your word for that), then
still needlessly expen$ive, as real turntables can be had for less than
$20 in many cases. (Especially if it becomes a dust collector as you say.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/30/2009 3:24 AM dadiOH spake thus:

Pdk Pdk wrote:

Looking to buy my brother something to record his old vinyl
collection onto a computer.
A local store has a closeout sale on Ion USB turntables for $75 each.
As a technical weakling, I'm consulting y'all to see if anyone's
tried this unit or has any ideas regarding what I should be looking
for. It seems like an easy to use unit, but I don't want to buy the
wrong thing.

Normally, the output from a turntable has to be amplified to record
from it via computer. If not built in (rarely) the amp can be
obtained by piping from turntable to a stereo then from stereo to
computer. See my dandies in sig for more info.

The Ion obviously has a built-in preamp; they're not just going to be
able to run the magnetic cartridge directly into the USB connector ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote:
(stuff omitted)
Not quite. You really need equalization. That's why you must run it
through
an RCIA preamp, or as another said, through a receiver (which has the
RCIA equalizer). I'm sure there may be software with built in equalization
to make it work directly, but I haven't seen it. I briefly checked Adobe
Audition and didn't see it there.

Oops, I meant RIAA. RCIA is from
different life.

Adult convert to Catholicism, are you?

Actually, a Catholic Church organist.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill Hall wrote:

[...]

There should be lots of turntable on
ebay and CraigsList. I sold, actually,
gave away, a nice turntable for $10. I
acquired a linear tracking Technics
for free, but had to invest about $20
for a new cartridge/needle. I also
acquired a very consumer mike mixer,
which has an RIAA input for phone
cartridge. I could also use my stereo
receiver, however, I wanted something
that I could use at the computer station
for capture.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/30/2009 10:16 AM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

Pdk Pdk wrote:

Looking to buy my brother something to record his old vinyl
collection onto a computer.
A local store has a closeout sale on Ion USB turntables for $75 each.
As a technical weakling, I'm consulting y'all to see if anyone's
tried this unit or has any ideas regarding what I should be looking
for. It seems like an easy to use unit, but I don't want to buy the
wrong thing.

Normally, the output from a turntable has to be amplified to record
from it via computer. If not built in (rarely) the amp can be
obtained by piping from turntable to a stereo then from stereo to
computer. See my dandies in sig for more info.

The Ion obviously has a built-in preamp; they're not just going to be
able to run the magnetic cartridge directly into the USB connector ...

Not to mention that the Ion also contains its own A-D converter, of
unknown quality ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 21:51:38 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 6/29/2009 8:37 PM Pdk Pdk spake thus:

Looking to buy my brother something to record his old vinyl
collection onto a computer.
A local store has a closeout sale on Ion USB turntables for $75 each.
As a technical weakling, I'm consulting y'all to see if anyone's
tried this unit or has any ideas regarding what I should be looking for.
It seems like an easy to use unit, but I don't want to buy the wrong
thing.

I'd be skeptical. Sounds like it might be a real POS.

Why not just get a *real* turntable (there are still ****loads of them
out there for sale) and run it through any inexpensive receiver? You'll
get much better results that way.

(But no, I haven't actually tried these devices.)

That won't get the music onto CD or MP3. However, there are software
packages that allow you to pluf a standard turntable into a standard
sound card to do the deed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill Hall wrote:

I have the ION and got it for Christmas three yr. ago from my children.
They have been around for a long time and the price hasn't changed much
in that time ($150.00 range). The ION works well, but consider the fact
that after you have copied all your vinyl you have a very expensive dust
collector of the shelf. Mine is !!

Well, looks like you might have a chance to sell it now if you'd
like :-)

--
PB
"I suspect you're an arrogant little ****ant who grew up in the