Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Garden windows

Not@home wrote:
I want to install a small garden window. I'm seeking one that has a
clear roof, good insulation on all sides, is well built, and allows
enough light through to grow seedlings and plants.

I found a Pella that looked good, but they claim they don't market
them in this area. I want to avoid one of the dealers that hawks
them on TV, then sends a salesman who doesn't know the details of the
product to close the sale. Plastic is OK, but I want wood on the
interior (finishing it myself is no problem).

Please name any manufacturer who makes a good garden window.

Don't know about that, but this is a good segue into a reverse window.

First, I'll admit the idea's not mine. I saw it at the Audubon Center of
Western Pennsylvania.

Next, you need a three-sided aquarium. These are usually found near
dumpsters at apartment houses. Or you can use a new aquarium and break out
one side.

Coat the remaining three sides with reflective window film, fashion a wooden
lid.

Now, mount the whole thing in your breakfast room window, open the lid and
scatter some birdseed on the bottom. Replace the lid.

Before long the little neighborhood birdies will come visit you for their
breakfast treats while you enjoy your Grape Nuts not six inches away. As the
word spreads amongst the avian community, you'll get more and more feather
fellows taking advantage of your generosity.

Your cat will enjoy the spectacle also.