Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garden windows

I want to install a small garden window. I'm seeking one that has a
clear roof, good insulation on all sides, is well built, and allows
enough light through to grow seedlings and plants.

I found a Pella that looked good, but they claim they don't market them
in this area. I want to avoid one of the dealers that hawks them on TV,
then sends a salesman who doesn't know the details of the product to
close the sale. Plastic is OK, but I want wood on the interior
(finishing it myself is no problem).

Please name any manufacturer who makes a good garden window.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Not@home" wrote in message
I want to install a small garden window. I'm seeking one that has a clear
roof, good insulation on all sides, is well built, and allows enough light
through to grow seedlings and plants.

I found a Pella that looked good, but they claim they don't market them in
this area. I want to avoid one of the dealers that hawks them on TV, then
sends a salesman who doesn't know the details of the product to close the
sale. Plastic is OK, but I want wood on the interior (finishing it myself
is no problem).

Please name any manufacturer who makes a good garden window.

What area are you in ??? Maybe there is a GOOD reason the won't sell them
there that you should heed ??

Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote:

"Not@home" wrote in message
I want to install a small garden window. I'm seeking one that has a
clear roof, good insulation on all sides, is well built, and allows
enough light through to grow seedlings and plants.

I found a Pella that looked good, but they claim they don't market
them in this area. I want to avoid one of the dealers that hawks them
on TV, then sends a salesman who doesn't know the details of the
product to close the sale. Plastic is OK, but I want wood on the
interior (finishing it myself is no problem).

Please name any manufacturer who makes a good garden window.

What area are you in ??? Maybe there is a GOOD reason the won't sell
them there that you should heed ??

I'm near Cleveland. We think of our climate as moderate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 10:48:38 -0400, "Not@home" wrote:

benick wrote:

"Not@home" wrote in message
I want to install a small garden window. I'm seeking one that has a
clear roof, good insulation on all sides, is well built, and allows
enough light through to grow seedlings and plants.

I found a Pella that looked good, but they claim they don't market
them in this area. I want to avoid one of the dealers that hawks them
on TV, then sends a salesman who doesn't know the details of the
product to close the sale. Plastic is OK, but I want wood on the
interior (finishing it myself is no problem).

Please name any manufacturer who makes a good garden window.

What area are you in ??? Maybe there is a GOOD reason the won't sell
them there that you should heed ??

I'm near Cleveland. We think of our climate as moderate.

Is that Cleveland, Tennessee or the Mistake-on-the-Lake?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Not@home" wrote

I want to install a small garden window. I'm seeking one that has a clear
roof, good insulation on all sides, is well built, and allows enough light
through to grow seedlings and plants.

I think you mean greenhouse or 'sunroom'.

Please name any manufacturer who makes a good garden window.

Better Living does nice sunrooms. In my area, it's a '3 season'
construction because we are much warmer so that works even in winter here.
Where you are (presuming it's not the Tennesee one), you need a 4 season
type. It will still be a heat drag but functional enough as living space.
Contact a local company who offers references you can check as to the
functionality of this type of contruction for your area.

Because in my case, we had a solid roof over the area already, we only did 2
walls (the other 2, one is a solid partition off a screened porch with load
bearing members and the other is the 'house proper' wall).

Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote:

"Not@home" wrote in message
I want to install a small garden window. I'm seeking one that has
a clear roof, good insulation on all sides, is well built, and
allows enough light through to grow seedlings and plants.

I found a Pella that looked good, but they claim they don't market
them in this area. I want to avoid one of the dealers that hawks
them on TV, then sends a salesman who doesn't know the details of
the product to close the sale. Plastic is OK, but I want wood on
the interior (finishing it myself is no problem).

Please name any manufacturer who makes a good garden window.

What area are you in ??? Maybe there is a GOOD reason the won't sell
them there that you should heed ??

I'm near Cleveland. We think of our climate as moderate.

Is that Cleveland, Tennessee or the Mistake-on-the-Lake?

It's where fun goes to die.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"cshenk" wrote:

"Not@home" wrote

I want to install a small garden window. I'm seeking one that has a clear
roof, good insulation on all sides, is well built, and allows enough light
through to grow seedlings and plants.

I think you mean greenhouse or 'sunroom'.

Hmm, why do you think the OP means something other than what he/she
said? To me, a "small garden window" is essentially a large bay window
with glass on top.
Posted to alt.home.repair

cshenk wrote:
"Not@home" wrote

I want to install a small garden window. I'm seeking one that has a clear
roof, good insulation on all sides, is well built, and allows enough light
through to grow seedlings and plants.

I think you mean greenhouse or 'sunroom'.

More like a bay window........for growing things:

http://web.pella.com/products/window...es/Garden.aspx
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:
"Not@home" wrote

I want to install a small garden window. I'm seeking one that has a
clear
roof, good insulation on all sides, is well built, and allows enough
light
through to grow seedlings and plants.

I think you mean greenhouse or 'sunroom'.

Hmm, why do you think the OP means something other than what he/she
said? To me, a "small garden window" is essentially a large bay window
with glass on top.

Because he talks about a 'roof' and insulation on all sides?

Dunno about your area but my bay window has glass at topo and bottom but not
exactly 'in the roof' at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KWP KWP is offline

"Not@home" wrote in message
I want to install a small garden window. I'm seeking one that has a clear
roof, good insulation on all sides, is well built, and allows enough light
through to grow seedlings and plants.

I found a Pella that looked good, but they claim they don't market them
in this area. I want to avoid one of the dealers that hawks them on TV,
then sends a salesman who doesn't know the details of the product to
close the sale. Plastic is OK, but I want wood on the interior
(finishing it myself is no problem).

Please name any manufacturer who makes a good garden window.

Polaris, owned, manufactured, & distributed by MBS (Modern Builders
Supply). Manufactured in Youngstown, OH.

They offer awesome quality windows, which I know for a fact, they stand
behind their products.

MBS is a contractor only supplier. However, if you stop in @ one, they will
give you 3 contractor names.
http://www.polaristechnologies.com/p...ld/garden.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

Not@home wrote:
I want to install a small garden window. I'm seeking one that has a
clear roof, good insulation on all sides, is well built, and allows
enough light through to grow seedlings and plants.

I found a Pella that looked good, but they claim they don't market
them in this area. I want to avoid one of the dealers that hawks
them on TV, then sends a salesman who doesn't know the details of the
product to close the sale. Plastic is OK, but I want wood on the
interior (finishing it myself is no problem).

Please name any manufacturer who makes a good garden window.

Don't know about that, but this is a good segue into a reverse window.

First, I'll admit the idea's not mine. I saw it at the Audubon Center of
Western Pennsylvania.

Next, you need a three-sided aquarium. These are usually found near
dumpsters at apartment houses. Or you can use a new aquarium and break out
one side.

Coat the remaining three sides with reflective window film, fashion a wooden
lid.

Now, mount the whole thing in your breakfast room window, open the lid and
scatter some birdseed on the bottom. Replace the lid.

Before long the little neighborhood birdies will come visit you for their
breakfast treats while you enjoy your Grape Nuts not six inches away. As the
word spreads amongst the avian community, you'll get more and more feather
fellows taking advantage of your generosity.

Your cat will enjoy the spectacle also.