Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Wiring in conduit

In article , wrote:
On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 12:55:11 GMT,
(Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Metspitzer

wrote:

2 amps of current might melt solder on those printed circuit cards you
use, but it would be negligible on 12-14 gauge wires that are used in
houses. It would take something like using a toaster oven and a Fry
daddy on the same circuit. That could bring the wire close to a
temperature that would melt solder. A short circuit (random fault)
would for sure. That is why the NEC requires splices to be
mechanically secure before using solder.

To quote your own words: "It is obvious ... you really don't understand what
is going on."

That is *not* why the NEC requires soldered splices to be mechanically secure
without the solder. The NEC requires that because solder lacks the strength
necessary to make a connection mechanically secure.

In part. Also the joint MUST be able to stay mechanically connected IF
the solder joint fails

That's what I just said: "require[d] ... to be mechanically secure without the
solder" .

The copper wires must be able to form both a
solid mechanical and electrical connection

Yes, we know that. It's already been pointed out several times.

- the solder just seals the
joint to prevent oxidation and prevent the joint from working loose.

Wrong. If solder is needed to prevent the joint from working loose, then it
was in fact *not* "mechanically secure without solder" and therefore was not
properly made.