Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Wiring in conduit

In article , wrote:
On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 01:17:26 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 21:59:33 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Metspitzer wrote:

It is obvious when you ask the question......will 2A melt solder...
you really don't understand what is going on.

It's obvious to me that you're choosing not to follow the conversation,
and to change things to suit your own perversions. I do know what's
going on, but you're making up all kinds of random **** to satisfy
yourself that I don't. Even Doug the NEC junkie told Jimmie he was flat
wrong with his statement. Used practically the same words I did.

Out.

Can 2 amps of solder melt current in house wiring. No

Can 2 amps melt solder.....yes.

Take a test lead and put it on one end of the solder and put 2 amps of
current on it. Keep extending the length of the solder.

You don't agree Doug?

Don't need to go that far. How many amps does a 30 watt soldering iron
draw? How about a 100 watt soldering iron? 150 watt soldering iron is
a BIG iron - and still less than 2 amps on 1 115 volt nominal circuit.

Totally irrelevant to the discussion. A soldering iron generates heat by
passing an electric current through a heating element, and it should be no
surprise to anyone that a heating element designed to get hot enough to
melt solder will in fact do so. The claim under discussion was that passing
electric current through *solder* -- specifically a soldered splice -- will
generate enough heat to melt the solder. And that claim is complete nonsense.