Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring in conduit

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 17:02:19 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article
,
JIMMIE wrote:

On Jun 28, 1:05Â*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

Â*JIMMIE wrote:
The problem
is that solder will melt with just a few amps of current passing
through it.

Well that's completely untrue. Electric current doesn't melt solder.

In a poorly made splice it certainly will. If there is not a good
copper to copper contact the solder will melt. The NEC does or did
make this clear.

Jimmie

Having spent the last 25 years as the production manager of a
manufacturing facility engaged largely in electronic assembly work, I
think I know a bit about solder. Current plus resistance = heat, but
solder is made of tin and lead (still in the U.S. anyway) and could
hardly be classified as a resistor. Here, try this link:

Where do you buy leaded electronic solder in the USA?
Can't get in Canada for about 5 years now.
http://www.allmeasures.com/Formulae/...ical_resistivi
ty/30.htm

The resistivity of solder is given as

Electrical Resistivity (rho)
app 0.000000165 ohm.m

and the resistance of a 10' length of solder of 1 sq. mm. cross
sectional area is calculated as 1/2 ohm.

If you have a cite that supports your contention that the NEC thinks
electric current will melt solder, I'd be most interested in seeing it.