Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default friends working together in shop

CC wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message
CC wrote:
Thanks for all the responses everyone, Seems as if the system is
now set up so a couple guys cannot get together to build something
for the pleasure of doing it without having to worry about if are you
going to lo[o]se everything you have for a hobby or a pleasant
evening. Also shows what can happen if an accident happens to someone
other than yourself and
the insurance companies and lawyers take it over and out of your hands
Leaves a lot to think about if that comes up. Not what I was hoping for
but I wanted to know the reality of what could result.

Well, it's just as true if you invite the neighbors over for a wienie
roast and somebody were to step off the stoop so don't get _too_
uptight despite the "what if's" and "could be's".

The upshot is in my estimation to live your life but _do_ be sensible.
Make sure you do have sufficient coverage for liability and ensure
that the coverage includes shop tools.

If one were to try to be totally risk-averse there would be nothing
one could do.

--

I think it has to do with the individuals involved too. If I were over
at a friends
shop working on a project with them, and something happened to me, I
wouldn't
be looking to sue them or anyone else for that matter. As far as
equipment goes,
I wouldn't try to use a power tool that I didn't know anything about
until shown
or read the manual on how to use it. But some people have different
ideas of
how to live and interact with others. There are some that I know that
I'd not want
over to a weenie roast or anything else for that matter. It'd be my
fault if they
choked on a hotdog. Those types, you want at a distance

All the above is true and I've no disagreement at all.

The only other comment I would make is that even someone you've known
long time can become very different person in the event of serious
accident and injury.

I don't do other than you're outlining above, but I am pretty stiff in
the "who" doesn't stay at a distance.

I have the potential issues of employees, of course, but as farm rather
than industrial there's a fair amount of leeway as opposed to some of
the guys here who are actually running commercial shops.