Posted to rec.woodworking
CC[_4_] CC[_4_] is offline

Default friends working together in shop

"dpb" wrote in message
CC wrote:
Thanks for all the responses everyone, Seems as if the
system is
now set up so a couple guys cannot get together to build
something
for the pleasure of doing it without having to worry
about if are you going to lo[o]se everything you have for
a hobby or a pleasant evening. Also shows what can happen
if an accident happens to someone other than yourself and
the insurance companies and lawyers take it over and out
of your hands
Leaves a lot to think about if that comes up. Not what I
was hoping for
but I wanted to know the reality of what could result.

Well, it's just as true if you invite the neighbors over
for a wienie roast and somebody were to step off the stoop
so don't get _too_ uptight despite the "what if's" and
"could be's".

The upshot is in my estimation to live your life but _do_
be sensible. Make sure you do have sufficient coverage for
liability and ensure that the coverage includes shop
tools.

If one were to try to be totally risk-averse there would
be nothing one could do.

--

I think it has to do with the individuals involved too. If I
were over at a friends
shop working on a project with them, and something happened
to me, I wouldn't
be looking to sue them or anyone else for that matter. As
far as equipment goes,
I wouldn't try to use a power tool that I didn't know
anything about until shown
or read the manual on how to use it. But some people have
different ideas of
how to live and interact with others. There are some that I
know that I'd not want
over to a weenie roast or anything else for that matter.
It'd be my fault if they
choked on a hotdog. Those types, you want at a distance
CC