Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT--USB turntable

On 6/30/2009 10:16 AM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

On 6/30/2009 3:24 AM dadiOH spake thus:

Pdk Pdk wrote:

Looking to buy my brother something to record his old vinyl
collection onto a computer.
A local store has a closeout sale on Ion USB turntables for $75 each.
As a technical weakling, I'm consulting y'all to see if anyone's
tried this unit or has any ideas regarding what I should be looking
for. It seems like an easy to use unit, but I don't want to buy the
wrong thing.

Normally, the output from a turntable has to be amplified to record
from it via computer. If not built in (rarely) the amp can be
obtained by piping from turntable to a stereo then from stereo to
computer. See my dandies in sig for more info.

The Ion obviously has a built-in preamp; they're not just going to be
able to run the magnetic cartridge directly into the USB connector ...

Not to mention that the Ion also contains its own A-D converter, of
unknown quality ...