Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Goniometer designs, one kinematic, one elastic

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
Jon Elson wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
FYI. I came upon two interesting goniometer designs.

For the record, a goniometer is a kind of stage that rotates about a
center well outside of the goniometer body, and is used for such things
as rotating crystals whose x-ray diffraction patterns are being
measured, or for rotating an optical lens about its physical center (or
perhaps about one of its optical nodes) in pitch and yaw.

I have an Xray crystallograpy goniometer, if you
are interested. It does have a
hub. It has two concentric spindles, with
anti-backlash gears and worm drive.

Thanks. I don't actually need a goniometer, I was just interested in
the two mechanisms.

OK, I was thinking that it might make a good dividing head, but the
gears are rather flimsy. One thing I can't figure out is why it is so
heavy. It seems to weigh about 100 Lbs, fits in a 1 foot cube, and the
gears are open air and about 1/8" thick. I've been wondering if it has
a huge block of tungsten in the middle, or something, for X-ray shielding.

Jon