Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Goniometer designs, one kinematic, one elastic

FYI. I came upon two interesting goniometer designs.

For the record, a goniometer is a kind of stage that rotates about a
center well outside of the goniometer body, and is used for such things
as rotating crystals whose x-ray diffraction patterns are being
measured, or for rotating an optical lens about its physical center (or
perhaps about one of its optical nodes) in pitch and yaw.

Kinematic: US Patent 6,705,019 to Mauro.

Figures 21 and 22 cover a variation that a HSM could make. Two
cylinders whose radii differ by the ball diameter, three or four balls,
and a carrier. Yes, four balls. Why it works kinematically is
described in the patent.

Elastic: 4,759,130 to Goldowsky.

This has to be the shortest modern patent I've read. Anyway, this is
buildable by a HSM, and allows one to adjust angle to 0.001 degree
resolution without the stage moving sideways.

Patents can be obtained in pdf from www.pat2pdf.org or Google Patents.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
FYI. I came upon two interesting goniometer designs.

For the record, a goniometer is a kind of stage that rotates about a
center well outside of the goniometer body, and is used for such things
as rotating crystals whose x-ray diffraction patterns are being
measured, or for rotating an optical lens about its physical center (or
perhaps about one of its optical nodes) in pitch and yaw.

I have an Xray crystallograpy goniometer, if you
are interested. It does have a
hub. It has two concentric spindles, with
anti-backlash gears and worm drive.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hum - used on with a Siemens High voltage, High current X-ray and our
home made Cross X-ray tube.

The tricky thing was the crystal was water absorbent. Had to have a bell over
it before and after measurement...

Martin

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote:

Hum - used on with a Siemens High voltage, High current X-ray and our
home made Cross X-ray tube.

The tricky thing was the crystal was water absorbent. Had to have a bell over
it before and after measurement...

Never done it myself, but heard about it in the mid 1980s from a
girlfriend who worked in a bio lab where they were trying to crystallize
a large protein (don't recall which one) so they could deduce its atomic
structure.

Joe Gwinn

Martin

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Jon Elson wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
FYI. I came upon two interesting goniometer designs.

For the record, a goniometer is a kind of stage that rotates about a
center well outside of the goniometer body, and is used for such things
as rotating crystals whose x-ray diffraction patterns are being
measured, or for rotating an optical lens about its physical center (or
perhaps about one of its optical nodes) in pitch and yaw.

I have an Xray crystallograpy goniometer, if you
are interested. It does have a
hub. It has two concentric spindles, with
anti-backlash gears and worm drive.

Thanks. I don't actually need a goniometer, I was just interested in
the two mechanisms.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Exactly.

There was a class of sorts - research - that did this over and over
with a half dozen 'items'. simple at first and then bearing down
hard on the math with the complex ones.

I think the last one was a protein or such - non-dirt type.

I was serving as the lab (all physics labs) tech. Lots of varying work.

The lab next to it - it being in a radiation lab - was a 'gun' we developed
on grant. That sucker gave me the willies.

Martin

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
Jon Elson wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
FYI. I came upon two interesting goniometer designs.

For the record, a goniometer is a kind of stage that rotates about a
center well outside of the goniometer body, and is used for such things
as rotating crystals whose x-ray diffraction patterns are being
measured, or for rotating an optical lens about its physical center (or
perhaps about one of its optical nodes) in pitch and yaw.

I have an Xray crystallograpy goniometer, if you
are interested. It does have a
hub. It has two concentric spindles, with
anti-backlash gears and worm drive.

Thanks. I don't actually need a goniometer, I was just interested in
the two mechanisms.

OK, I was thinking that it might make a good dividing head, but the
gears are rather flimsy. One thing I can't figure out is why it is so
heavy. It seems to weigh about 100 Lbs, fits in a 1 foot cube, and the
gears are open air and about 1/8" thick. I've been wondering if it has
a huge block of tungsten in the middle, or something, for X-ray shielding.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It's probably heavy for vibration damping, since vibration will blur the
diffraction signal.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames