Posted to rec.woodworking
DGDevin DGDevin is offline

Default friends working together in shop

CC wrote:

Not talking about job workshops, but
working with friends on projects at home shop.
Looking for some advise or experiences.
My tools and shop and buddy or neighbor gets
hurt doing something. What do you do to keep
from possible legal problems associated with
an accident. How do you protect yourself
without first making a lawyer drawn up contract
with them? Or is that what you have to do. I'm aware of
making sure they know how to use tools safely
but what else.
CC

Do you have good homeowner's insurance and will it cover friends using your
tools in your shop? Do your friends have good medical insurance? Do you
have a good lawyer, and plenty of savings to pay that lawyer if something
goes wrong? If the answer to all these questions is "yes" then maybe you'll
be okay even if someone gets hurt. But if somebody is injured on your
property and decides to sue you, or if an insurance company hit with a claim
decides to sue you, then your retirement fund is going to be depleted first
by your legal bills and then perhaps by a judgment against you.

It might be worth a couple of hundred bucks to talk to a lawyer about this.
But I have a couple of friends who are lawyers and I bet I know what they
would have to say about the idea--don't do it unless you enjoy the feeling
of rolling the dice.