Posted to alt.home.repair
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default Wiring in conduit

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 17:02:19 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article
,
JIMMIE wrote:

On Jun 28, 1:05*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*JIMMIE wrote:
The problem
is that solder will melt with just a few amps of current passing
through it.

Well that's completely untrue. Electric current doesn't melt solder.

In a poorly made splice it certainly will. If there is not a good
copper to copper contact the solder will melt. The NEC does or did
make this clear.

Jimmie

Having spent the last 25 years as the production manager of a
manufacturing facility engaged largely in electronic assembly work, I
think I know a bit about solder. Current plus resistance = heat, but
solder is made of tin and lead (still in the U.S. anyway) and could
hardly be classified as a resistor. Here, try this link:

http://www.allmeasures.com/Formulae/...ical_resistivi
ty/30.htm

The resistivity of solder is given as

Electrical Resistivity (rho)
app 0.000000165 ohm.m

and the resistance of a 10' length of solder of 1 sq. mm. cross
sectional area is calculated as 1/2 ohm.

If you have a cite that supports your contention that the NEC thinks
electric current will melt solder, I'd be most interested in seeing it.

All those numbers have nothing to do with a circuit with a overload.
It is true that the resistance of the solder can be considered 0, but
that doesn't keep the temperature of the wire from getting hot under
an overload. The overload doesn't have to be caused by a bad splice.

You should stick to 12V BTW