Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Goniometer designs, one kinematic, one elastic

In article ,
"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote:

Hum - used on with a Siemens High voltage, High current X-ray and our
home made Cross X-ray tube.

The tricky thing was the crystal was water absorbent. Had to have a bell over
it before and after measurement...

Never done it myself, but heard about it in the mid 1980s from a
girlfriend who worked in a bio lab where they were trying to crystallize
a large protein (don't recall which one) so they could deduce its atomic
structure.

Joe Gwinn

Martin

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
FYI. I came upon two interesting goniometer designs.

For the record, a goniometer is a kind of stage that rotates about a
center well outside of the goniometer body, and is used for such things
as rotating crystals whose x-ray diffraction patterns are being
measured, or for rotating an optical lens about its physical center (or
perhaps about one of its optical nodes) in pitch and yaw.

Kinematic: US Patent 6,705,019 to Mauro.

Figures 21 and 22 cover a variation that a HSM could make. Two
cylinders whose radii differ by the ball diameter, three or four balls,
and a carrier. Yes, four balls. Why it works kinematically is
described in the patent.

Elastic: 4,759,130 to Goldowsky.

This has to be the shortest modern patent I've read. Anyway, this is
buildable by a HSM, and allows one to adjust angle to 0.001 degree
resolution without the stage moving sideways.

Patents can be obtained in pdf from www.pat2pdf.org or Google Patents.

Joe Gwinn