Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

Default Wiring in conduit

On Jun 27, 6:25*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
Good grief. I knew I was going to get some **** about this, but a well
soldered and insulated splice in a spacious conduit with wide sweeping
turns is hardly dangerous, the damn code be damned. There's about a one
in ten billion chance it will go short or open in the lifetime of the
house, and if it does either, it's STILL not dangerous or difficult to
diagnose or repair. If the retired homeowner on a fixed income wants to
save a few bucks on wire, let him splice the **** if he knows how.
Millions of people survived the advent of electricity before there were
all these laws to protect us from ourselves.- Hide quoted text -

Well, I guess I'm that 10 billionth person. Had an outlet go dead,
started troubleshooting, traced it to a break somewhere between a
particular junction box and the outlet. This was on a circuit in
conduit. I just said what the heck, let's pull this wire out and
replace it since I don't know what's going on. Pulled the wire out
and found a splice in the middle of the conduit. Someone decided to
save 10 feet of wire and splice two 5 foot pieces together. The
splice failed. Replaced said wire and everything was fine.

Ken