Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Door lining fixing - wonky opening

nafuk wrote:
Hi, please can I have tips for installing a door lining in a new brick
opening in a old uneven/sloping/unsquare/untrue/twisted wall.

My ideas are

1 Assemble the lining and then lay it on the door and try and brace it
to prevent twisting out of true as it is lifted into the opening, or

2 place the the door lining in the opening then lean the door against
the lining and then marking the location of the now 'aligned' lining
on the brick opening and fixing.

I will have a wooden brace temporarily fixed across the bottom of the
lining to keep the opening distance the same as the top of the lining.

Many thanks.

I'd treat it as a free standing thing with the brace across the bottom
to keep it square, and possibly some metal angle brackets across the
corners. Chop out the brickwork till it fits.
Although the opening is wonky, the woodwork should be straight and
square. It's a lot easier to fill or spray foam into the gaps than it is
to get wood to follow wonky surfaces.