Posted to alt.home.repair
JimR JimR is offline

Default Building codes in China

"Clot" wrote in message
Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"DGDevin" wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...ng-tower-China
-Amazing-pictures-13-storey-block-flats-toppled-over.html

[--]
And the Chinese spit, all day, everywhere. He was talking to a workman
just inside the door to his apartment. The guy had to spit, and in
order to be polite and not spit in my friend's place, he opened up
the door and spit out into the carpeted hallway.

This is normal. The Chinese Govt. made a point to encourage folk not to
spit prior to the Olympics.

It's a different culture.

Right, on the different culture - they have a similar view of some of the
western world's habits -- two I'll cite --

1. Kleenex and handkerchiefs - why would you use a handkerchief and then
put it back into your pocket?? Very unsanitary -- what are you saving it
for?

2. Western supermarkets are second-class -- the products are not fresh!
(The Chinese idea of "fresh" is that it was in the field yesterday, or alive
in the market this morning.)

In a small town in south-western China I once stopped at a roadside stand to
buy some fresh strawberries. The lady took my order for 4 boxes, then sent
her son into the field where he picked 4 boxes of strawberries. That's
fresh.