Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Building codes in China

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...pled-over.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

DGDevin wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...pled-over.html

They were fortunate in the direction it fell and that it wasn't occupied.

I immediately thought of the dozens of similar blocks in Hangzhou about 50
miles to the south of Shanghai. If one of those fell in the wrong direction,
I could sadly imagine thousands of deaths as a deck of cards fell down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Clot wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...pled-over.html

They were fortunate in the direction it fell and that it wasn't
occupied.
I immediately thought of the dozens of similar blocks in Hangzhou
about 50 miles to the south of Shanghai. If one of those fell in the
wrong direction, I could sadly imagine thousands of deaths as a deck
of cards fell down.

I can't help but wonder what will happen to the other buildings in that
cluster, will they let them be occupied at risk of thousands of lives?
Whoever signed off on putting up those buildings on what appears to be mud
might have a short trial with no appeal in his future.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On the bright side, the building itself must have been pretty well
built to still be mostly in one piece...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry The Snake Guy wrote:
On the bright side, the building itself must have been pretty well
built to still be mostly in one piece...

Those pilings look WAY too short, to my untrained eye. No more than
about 20 feet long. They use longer pilings than that when building in
mudflats and sandbars in USA, for buildings less than half as tall.
Unless, of course, half the pilings are still down in the holes, and
they just snapped off due to crappy materials.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DGDevin" wrote:

Whoever signed off on putting up those buildings on what appears to be mud
might have a short trial with no appeal in his future.

There's no problem building on mud if you do it properly, but that usually means
scraping down to something more stable. Tthe caissons look woefully undersized,
both in diameter and length. They should have gone down to bedrock and been
about 10 times larger in diameter. If the other buildings were constructed the
same way, I'm guessing they'll have to be leveled. There's no way you could
externally reinforce those.

And no, I wouldn't want to be the engineer that signed off on those. Their
concept of justice is definitely not western.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry The Snake Guy wrote:
On the bright side, the building itself must have been pretty well
built to still be mostly in one piece...

Agreed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Larry The Snake Guy wrote:
On the bright side, the building itself must have been pretty well
built to still be mostly in one piece...

Those pilings look WAY too short, to my untrained eye. No more than
about 20 feet long. They use longer pilings than that when building in
mudflats and sandbars in USA, for buildings less than half as tall.
Unless, of course, half the pilings are still down in the holes, and
they just snapped off due to crappy materials.

I think that they are snapped off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DGDevin wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...pled-over.html

Is that the walmart towers complex I heard about?
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
DGDevin wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...pled-over.html

Is that the walmart towers complex I heard about?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"DGDevin" wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...ng-tower-China
-Amazing-pictures-13-storey-block-flats-toppled-over.html

I have a friend who moved to Beijing about 5 years ago. He and his wife
bought an apartment in a building like that. He tells me all kinds of
stories. Tradesmen over there aren't licensed. When you buy an apartment
there, it isn't finished. It's just a skeleton.

So they had plumbers, electricians, bricklayers, etc. come in to finish
the place. Almost everything that was done, he had them rip it out and
do it over. One guy had never seen a level. The plumber joined drain
pipes with a T instead of a Y. Wiring and plumbing is typically
installed on the surface of the walls, not inside.

The bathrooms are just a hole in the middle of the floor that serves as
a toilet and a drain for the non-enclosed shower. When he moved in there
wasn't even a door on the bathroom. He told the realtor he wanted one.
Came back the next day and they had put in a clear glass door.

There's no toilet facilities provided for workers, either, so when he
moved into this brand new, upscale building and had occasion to go on
the roof one day, he found about 200 piles of human ****.

And the Chinese spit, all day, everywhere. He was talking to a workman
just inside the door to his apartment. The guy had to spit, and in order
to be polite and not spit in my friend's place, he opened up the door
and spit out into the carpeted hallway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"DGDevin" wrote:

[...]

This is normal. The Chinese Govt. made a point to encourage folk not to spit
prior to the Olympics.

It's a different culture.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://tinyurl.com/m4ghn4

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DGDevin" wrote in message
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...pled-over.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

The bathrooms are just a hole in the middle of the floor that serves as
a toilet and a drain for the non-enclosed shower.

It's pretty common across Asia to see a central floor drain that the shower,
bath (if there is one) and sink all drain into. I've not seen toilets drain into
one though. I've also see a recessed area along one wall that works as a drain.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Clot" wrote in message
Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"DGDevin" wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...ng-tower-China
-Amazing-pictures-13-storey-block-flats-toppled-over.html

[--]
And the Chinese spit, all day, everywhere. He was talking to a workman
just inside the door to his apartment. The guy had to spit, and in
order to be polite and not spit in my friend's place, he opened up
the door and spit out into the carpeted hallway.

This is normal. The Chinese Govt. made a point to encourage folk not to
spit prior to the Olympics.

It's a different culture.

Right, on the different culture - they have a similar view of some of the
western world's habits -- two I'll cite --

1. Kleenex and handkerchiefs - why would you use a handkerchief and then
put it back into your pocket?? Very unsanitary -- what are you saving it
for?

2. Western supermarkets are second-class -- the products are not fresh!
(The Chinese idea of "fresh" is that it was in the field yesterday, or alive
in the market this morning.)

In a small town in south-western China I once stopped at a roadside stand to
buy some fresh strawberries. The lady took my order for 4 boxes, then sent
her son into the field where he picked 4 boxes of strawberries. That's
fresh.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"JimR" wrote:

In a small town in south-western China I once stopped at a roadside stand to
buy some fresh strawberries. The lady took my order for 4 boxes, then sent
her son into the field where he picked 4 boxes of strawberries. That's
fresh.

They have a similar philosophy about fresh human organs. Need a liver?
$10,000 gets you one freshly harvested from a prisoner. No waiting list.
Posted to alt.home.repair

..

They have a similar philosophy about fresh human organs. Need a liver?
$10,000 gets you one freshly harvested from a prisoner. No waiting list.

46,000 miners died last year in coal mining accidents...........

no health safety rules, buck a hour pay,

is it any wonder we cant compete as a nation?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Neville wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:

The bathrooms are just a hole in the middle of the floor that serves as
a toilet and a drain for the non-enclosed shower.

It's pretty common across Asia to see a central floor drain that the shower,
bath (if there is one) and sink all drain into. I've not seen toilets drain into
one though. I've also see a recessed area along one wall that works as a drain.

Same experience here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DGDevin wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...pled-over.html

WGAF??
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
.
They have a similar philosophy about fresh human organs. Need a liver?
$10,000 gets you one freshly harvested from a prisoner. No waiting list.

46,000 miners died last year in coal mining accidents...........

no health safety rules, buck a hour pay,

is it any wonder we cant compete as a nation?

If half of the Chinese suddenly vanished, there
would still be more Chinese than Americans and
Canadians and.....

TDD