Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default A few questions about ridge vents

"benick" wrote in
:

"Red Green" wrote in message
"benick" wrote in
news

wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 00:30:14 -0400, "benick"
wrote:

"Red Green" wrote in message
. ..
wrote in

.c om:

How do they attach it to the roof? Nails or screws? The ones
that were nailed down here in Florida came off the roofs easily
during the hurricanes. Do you have enough openings in the
soffit to allow for good air flow?

Do you have enough openings in the soffit to allow for
good air flow?

Not only a good Q but a critical one!

If you want to be sure you need to do some legwork and research
so you can talk to them with ammo. You need to calculate your
roof area and existing vent opening space. Read this.

http://www.gaf.com/Content/Documents/20402.pdf

Then go the GAF/Cobra site for additional info.

http://www.gaf.com/Content/GAF/RES1/...ent2.asp?viewe
r= &module=

Then when you talk to roofer you can ask if it includes upping
(if necessary) the vents. If not, you have yourself a roofer who
would have done an inadequate install had you not got educated.
OK, you may catch him and he'll up the bill for additional
venting but what else are they messing up on that you don't know
about?

You EXPECT the roofers to put soffit and gable vents in ??? I
suppose you expect them to repaint everything as well....And I
guess if it's a cathedral
you expect them to put staging up inside remove the drywall ,
remove insulation install rafter vent if it's missing and make sure
there is enough
circulation , put the insulation back up ,put new drywall back up ,
tape and
repaint as well....You don't have a clue...Roofers do ROOFING....If
you feel
there are more problems call a General Contractor to check things
out first
and correct any other problems...GESH , it's you that need an
education...LOL....If you call a roofer to put in ridge vent ,
that's what they will do..They aren't responsible for the original
builders mistakes or
installing gable and soffit vents or checking the cathedral...They
might recommend you get the soffit or gable vents installed but it
is NOT their job...
Up here a GOOD roofer will make sure you have enough vents or the
roof won't last and he's on the hook for repairs.

You are very WRONG..A GOOD roofer will tell you you need more vents
and maybe not do the roof untill you get them unless you give them
the OK , but I would not want a roofer to be removing siding and
cutting holes in my house , replacing siding and repainting or
poking holes in my cathedral ceiling to check for Raft- R -Mate and
repairing the drywall and repainting nor is it their
responsiblity...If they did all that they would be more than just
"roofers"....They would be General Contractors...Atleast here in New
England..How would the roofer be responsible for the builder not
putting in Raft-R-Mate to allow airflow between the insulation and
the roof ??? How is he supposed to know this ?? I suppose the roofer
is responsible for making sure the right amount of insulation is
installed in the attic to prevent ice dams as well or he is on the
hook...The roofer is responsible for making sure the underlayment is
good and installing the proper amount of ice and watershield , felt
paper , shingles and the ridge vent if it is requested...Nothing
more...Maybe in your nick of the woods roofers do everything but I
hardly think it's the norm....The SHINGLES may be warranteed for 30
years but the installation warrantee is typically a year....I
suppose in 10 years when your underlayment is rotting out from no
vents or insuffecient insulation you think the roofer is still on
the hook???LOL...You do need an education...LOL...

You do need an education...

OK, if you say so. You can teach a dummy things but you can't teach a
know-it-all nothin'.

Great come back...I guess I'm supposed to say , I know you are but
what am I now , right???LOL...If your so smart show me where I'm
wrong...I'm not afraid to say "I stand corrected" and have done so
MANY times..LOL...It seems you are....

Thread has become useless. Nobody gives a rats-ass what you or I believe
about who does or does not install the vents. All they care about is the
particulars as it applies to them locally. The only way they will know
that is when they make contacts locally. The important thing to know is
it needs to be checked.

LOL

Do you have a hot key for this or something???