Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A few questions about ridge vents

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 04:43:20 -0600, "Bob-tx"
wrote:

I have a couple roofing companies coming out next week to give
estimates on ridge vents for the house and a second garage (stand
alone).

What are some questions and concerns that I should address to them.
I have thought that perhaps there might be varying quality among
manufactures, but that is about all I can think of.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Bob-tx

Bonded, insured, licensed, guarantee, how many ridge vents have been
installed, experience, payment when job is completed. Usually, the
well-established companies that have been doing business 10+ years
will use better materials or offer to use better materials. My ridge
vent is 20 years old, no problems at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a couple roofing companies coming out next week to give
estimates on ridge vents for the house and a second garage (stand
alone).

What are some questions and concerns that I should address to them.
I have thought that perhaps there might be varying quality among
manufactures, but that is about all I can think of.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Bob-tx

Bonded, insured, licensed, guarantee, how many ridge vents have been
installed, experience, payment when job is completed. Usually, the
well-established companies that have been doing business 10+ years
will use better materials or offer to use better materials. My ridge
vent is 20 years old, no problems at all.

Ditto...The only thing I'd add is ask around to see who did others in the
neighborhood or town...Friends , family , ect....Ask for references and
check them...Ask if they use Illegals and avoid those that do...Good luck...

Posted to alt.home.repair

How do they attach it to the roof? Nails or screws? The ones that
were nailed down here in Florida came off the roofs easily during the
hurricanes. Do you have enough openings in the soffit to allow for
good air flow?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you have enough openings in the soffit to allow for
good air flow?

This is a very good question to get answered. My neighbor had them
installed and the roof knew they would be useless with the cathedral
ceilings but did not advise him. I think they chared him about $1200
USD and they are pretty much worthless.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
Do you have enough openings in the soffit to allow for
good air flow?

This is a very good question to get answered. My neighbor had them
installed and the roof knew they would be useless with the cathedral
ceilings but did not advise him. I think they chared him about $1200
USD and they are pretty much worthless.

Jimmie

On a cathedral ceiling, ridge vent is about the only way you can go. There
should be an air gap between sheathing & insulation. Or, baffles so the
insulation isn't against the sheathing. The baffles create the air gap.

You can't put pod/pot vents on and be effective, nor can you install gable
end vents for the same reason.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 3:44*pm, "Castle" wrote:
"JIMMIE" wrote in message

Do you have enough openings in the soffit to allow for
good air flow?

This is a very good question to get answered. My neighbor had them
installed and the roof knew they would be useless with the cathedral
ceilings but did not advise him. I think they chared him about $1200
USD and they are pretty much worthless.

Jimmie

On a cathedral ceiling, ridge vent is about the only way you can go. There
should be an air gap between sheathing & insulation. Or, baffles so the
insulation isn't against the sheathing. The baffles create the air gap.

You can't put pod/pot vents on and be effective, nor can you install gable
end vents for the same reason.

Thats true and you would have thought the house would have been
built that way with the baffles and ridge vents installed but it
wasnt. My point is that it was a waste of time and MONEY to install
the ridge vents without correcting the other airflow problems. The
installer didnt let the home owner know about the other problem, the
installer was either totaly incompetent or he just wanted to make some
quick and easy money. Im sure if the owner had been properly advised
he would have save his money and got all the work done when the roof
needed to be replaced

I lucked up and my house got hit by a tornado. It was built by the
same people that built my neighbors and had the same problem. My
roofing contractor spotted the problem and I was able to fix mine,
thanks to the damage cause by the tornado, for the cost of the
deductable.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
How do they attach it to the roof? Nails or screws? The ones that
were nailed down here in Florida came off the roofs easily during the
hurricanes. Do you have enough openings in the soffit to allow for
good air flow?

Ideally there should be more intake space than exhaust, and if the intakes
are covered with window-type screens, then that could reduce the "net free
area" by as much as 40%.

If the house has or will have soffit vents, they will need to install rafter
baffles as well, so the ceiling/attic insulation can go all the way to the
roof, yet still leave room for air to get from the soffit vents to the ridge
vent.

Also ask about rain infiltration. Some are rated for Miami-Dade county (FL)
hurricane standards, I believe the "air-vent II" is what I have (don't
remember the mfgr), and I think it's one of those that has 0% infiltration;
i.e. the attic remains totally dry inside even though the roof is about to
be ripped off....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 7:37*pm, "Bob M." wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

I had a new roof put on in 2007. I got estimates from three different
companies....all three companies said they would use the Cobra ridge
vent. I ended up hiring a company that used GAF shingles and the
Cobra ... they also worked with the My Safe Florida Home Program and
everything was done according to Miami-Dade Code (though I am in
another FL county) ... the building inspectors are pretty careful to
make sure everything installed is done in accordance with the new
codes put in effect after Andrew. My roof is a cathedral ceiling
type. We have soffit vents . All I can tell you is that it doesn't
leak and the electric bill has remained about the same as it was with
the tile roof. We did not install any more insulation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in
:

How do they attach it to the roof? Nails or screws? The ones that
were nailed down here in Florida came off the roofs easily during the
hurricanes. Do you have enough openings in the soffit to allow for
good air flow?

Do you have enough openings in the soffit to allow for
good air flow?

Not only a good Q but a critical one!

If you want to be sure you need to do some legwork and research so you
can talk to them with ammo. You need to calculate your roof area and
existing vent opening space. Read this.

http://www.gaf.com/Content/Documents/20402.pdf

Then go the GAF/Cobra site for additional info.

http://www.gaf.com/Content/GAF/RES1/...iewer=&module=

Then when you talk to roofer you can ask if it includes upping (if
necessary) the vents. If not, you have yourself a roofer who would have
done an inadequate install had you not got educated. OK, you may catch
him and he'll up the bill for additional venting but what else are they
messing up on that you don't know about?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 6:21*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Jun 24, 3:44*pm, "Castle" wrote:

"JIMMIE" wrote in message

[...]

How is a roofer supposed to figure out the airflow problems inside an
already built cathedral roof? I guess if there were no soffit vents
or inadequate ones, that would be readily visible. But if there were
no baffle chutes installed, insualtion is blocking flow somewhere
along the way, etc, it's not clear to me how you can figure that out.

I lucked up and my house got hit by a tornado. It was built by the
same people that built my neighbors and had the same problem. My
roofing contractor spotted the problem and I was able to fix mine,
thanks to the damage cause by the tornado, for the cost of the
deductable.

Jimmie- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
wrote in
:

[...]

You EXPECT the roofers to put soffit and gable vents in ??? I suppose you
expect them to repaint everything as well....And I guess if it's a cathedral
you expect them to put staging up inside remove the drywall , remove
insulation install rafter vent if it's missing and make sure there is enough
circulation , put the insulation back up ,put new drywall back up , tape and
repaint as well....You don't have a clue...Roofers do ROOFING....If you feel
there are more problems call a General Contractor to check things out first
and correct any other problems...GESH , it's you that need an
education...LOL....If you call a roofer to put in ridge vent , that's what
they will do..They aren't responsible for the original builders mistakes or
installing gable and soffit vents or checking the cathedral...They might
recommend you get the soffit or gable vents installed but it is NOT their
job...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in
:

"Red Green" wrote in message
wrote in

:

http://www.gaf.com/Content/GAF/RES1/....asp?viewer=&m
[...]

Some roofers will actually do it (they do have saws you know) and some
won't. Depends on where you are. Ridiculous in one area is BAU in
another. Your basing your comment on limited exposure. GESH , it's you
that need an education...LOL....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 00:30:14 -0400, "benick"
wrote:

"Red Green" wrote in message
wrote in
:

[...]

Up here a GOOD roofer will make sure you have enough vents or the
roof won't last and he's on the hook for repairs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 00:30:14 -0400, "benick"
wrote:

"Red Green" wrote in message
wrote in
:

[...]

You are very WRONG..A GOOD roofer will tell you you need more vents and
maybe not do the roof untill you get them unless you give them the OK , but
I would not want a roofer to be removing siding and cutting holes in my
house , replacing siding and repainting or poking holes in my cathedral
ceiling to check for Raft- R -Mate and repairing the drywall and repainting
nor is it their responsiblity...If they did all that they would be more than
just "roofers"....They would be General Contractors...Atleast here in New
England..How would the roofer be responsible for the builder not putting in
Raft-R-Mate to allow airflow between the insulation and the roof ??? How is
he supposed to know this ?? I suppose the roofer is responsible for making
sure the right amount of insulation is installed in the attic to prevent ice
dams as well or he is on the hook...The roofer is responsible for making
sure the underlayment is good and installing the proper amount of ice and
watershield , felt paper , shingles and the ridge vent if it is
requested...Nothing more...Maybe in your nick of the woods roofers do
everything but I hardly think it's the norm....The SHINGLES may be
warranteed for 30 years but the installation warrantee is typically a
year....I suppose in 10 years when your underlayment is rotting out from no
vents or insuffecient insulation you think the roofer is still on the
hook???LOL...You do need an education...LOL...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in
news

wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 00:30:14 -0400, "benick"
wrote:

"Red Green" wrote in message
wrote in

om:

http://www.gaf.com/Content/GAF/RES1/...t2.asp?viewer=
[...]

You do need an education...

OK, if you say so. You can teach a dummy things but you can't teach a
know-it-all nothin'.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
"benick" wrote in
news

wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 00:30:14 -0400, "benick"
wrote:

"Red Green" wrote in message
.. .
wrote in

om:

[...]

Great come back...I guess I'm supposed to say , I know you are but what am I
now , right???LOL...If your so smart show me where I'm wrong...I'm not
afraid to say "I stand corrected" and have done so MANY times..LOL...It
seems you are....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in
:

"Red Green" wrote in message
"benick" wrote in
news

wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 00:30:14 -0400, "benick"
wrote:

"Red Green" wrote in message
. ..
wrote in

.c om:

http://www.gaf.com/Content/GAF/RES1/...ent2.asp?viewe
[...]

Thread has become useless. Nobody gives a rats-ass what you or I believe
about who does or does not install the vents. All they care about is the
particulars as it applies to them locally. The only way they will know
that is when they make contacts locally. The important thing to know is
it needs to be checked.

LOL

Do you have a hot key for this or something???
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Red Green wrote:

"benick" wrote in
:

LOL

Do you have a hot key for this or something???

What, you don't have the official usenet extended keyboard with the
emoticons and acronyms off to the left?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
"benick" wrote in
:

"Red Green" wrote in message
"benick" wrote in
news

wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 00:30:14 -0400, "benick"
wrote:

"Red Green" wrote in message
.. .
wrote in

.c om:

[...]

Your the one who keeps responding albiet with personal attacks other than
trying to "teach me something" as you put it..LOL...Nothing usefull to add ,
move along....LOL...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 23:07:09 -0400, "benick"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 00:30:14 -0400, "benick"
wrote:

"Red Green" wrote in message
wrote in
:

[...]

Never have vents go in siding on majority of houses up here. Soffit
and roof - that's about it. The roof vents the roofer lookds after.
OCCAISIONALLY ridge vents are used. More often just the "mushrooms" on
the roof.

Ridge vents and attic fan DesignGuy Home Repair 11 August 8th 07 08:35 PM
Ridge Vents JA Home Repair 5 June 26th 06 05:39 PM
No soffit vents, no roof or ridge vents. How do I finish my attic?? Yank_fan_2965 Home Repair 9 December 31st 05 05:37 AM
Ridge Vents Peter Wells Home Repair 1 September 23rd 05 02:08 AM
ridge vents Choreboy Home Repair 24 August 22nd 05 07:30 PM