Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default A few questions about ridge vents

"Red Green" wrote in message
"benick" wrote in
news

wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 00:30:14 -0400, "benick"
wrote:

"Red Green" wrote in message
.. .
wrote in

om:

How do they attach it to the roof? Nails or screws? The ones
that were nailed down here in Florida came off the roofs easily
during the hurricanes. Do you have enough openings in the soffit
to allow for good air flow?

Do you have enough openings in the soffit to allow for
good air flow?

Not only a good Q but a critical one!

If you want to be sure you need to do some legwork and research so
you can talk to them with ammo. You need to calculate your roof
area and existing vent opening space. Read this.

http://www.gaf.com/Content/Documents/20402.pdf

Then go the GAF/Cobra site for additional info.

http://www.gaf.com/Content/GAF/RES1/...t2.asp?viewer=
&module=

Then when you talk to roofer you can ask if it includes upping (if
necessary) the vents. If not, you have yourself a roofer who would
have done an inadequate install had you not got educated. OK, you
may catch him and he'll up the bill for additional venting but what
else are they messing up on that you don't know about?

You EXPECT the roofers to put soffit and gable vents in ??? I suppose
you expect them to repaint everything as well....And I guess if it's
a cathedral
you expect them to put staging up inside remove the drywall , remove
insulation install rafter vent if it's missing and make sure there is
enough
circulation , put the insulation back up ,put new drywall back up ,
tape and
repaint as well....You don't have a clue...Roofers do ROOFING....If
you feel
there are more problems call a General Contractor to check things out
first
and correct any other problems...GESH , it's you that need an
education...LOL....If you call a roofer to put in ridge vent , that's
what they will do..They aren't responsible for the original builders
mistakes or
installing gable and soffit vents or checking the cathedral...They
might recommend you get the soffit or gable vents installed but it is
NOT their job...
Up here a GOOD roofer will make sure you have enough vents or the
roof won't last and he's on the hook for repairs.

You are very WRONG..A GOOD roofer will tell you you need more vents
and maybe not do the roof untill you get them unless you give them the
OK , but I would not want a roofer to be removing siding and cutting
holes in my house , replacing siding and repainting or poking holes in
my cathedral ceiling to check for Raft- R -Mate and repairing the
drywall and repainting nor is it their responsiblity...If they did all
that they would be more than just "roofers"....They would be General
Contractors...Atleast here in New England..How would the roofer be
responsible for the builder not putting in Raft-R-Mate to allow
airflow between the insulation and the roof ??? How is he supposed to
know this ?? I suppose the roofer is responsible for making sure the
right amount of insulation is installed in the attic to prevent ice
dams as well or he is on the hook...The roofer is responsible for
making sure the underlayment is good and installing the proper amount
of ice and watershield , felt paper , shingles and the ridge vent if
it is requested...Nothing more...Maybe in your nick of the woods
roofers do everything but I hardly think it's the norm....The SHINGLES
may be warranteed for 30 years but the installation warrantee is
typically a year....I suppose in 10 years when your underlayment is
rotting out from no vents or insuffecient insulation you think the
roofer is still on the hook???LOL...You do need an education...LOL...

You do need an education...

OK, if you say so. You can teach a dummy things but you can't teach a
know-it-all nothin'.

Great come back...I guess I'm supposed to say , I know you are but what am I
now , right???LOL...If your so smart show me where I'm wrong...I'm not
afraid to say "I stand corrected" and have done so MANY times..LOL...It
seems you are....