Posted to alt.home.repair
E Z Peaces E Z Peaces is offline

Default Soap Scum Removal ????

Brian wrote:
I have a problem with soap scum all over the shower doors. Part of the problem is from the rotten
well water here which when combined with the soap gets hard as a rock. I've tried every useless
bathroom cleaner on the market and nothing touches this crust. Does anyone know of a chemical that
will cut the scum ???? I've tried every brand of bathroom cleaner as well as white vinegar..... HELP
!!!

A little baking soda on a damp cloth or just my hand works fine for me.
Soap scum is waxy stuff that results when calcium or magnesium in
water replaces sodium or potassium in soap. Without much scrubbing, the
sodium in the baking soda can replace the magnesium or calcium in the
soap scum, turning it back into soap that will rinse away.

Adding salt to the baking soda makes a more abrasive mixture which may
help if the soap scum deposit is thick.