Posted to alt.home.repair
Ulysses Ulysses is offline

Default Stuck Rotor on Tapered Shaft

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Would you describe this thing you are calling a "rotor" or
post a link to a picture of one? I might know what you mean,
but your use of words is different than mine.

Rotor - The spinning guts in the middle of a generator, that spins
inside the stator.

Yea. Sometimes called an armature but I think that generally refers to the
spinning part of a motor.

I went over to SmokStak.com and here's what I found: One slick trick is to
tap the end of the rotor so it accepts a screw (3/8" would be about right on
mine). Insert a steel rod just slightly smaller than the hole in the middle
of the rotor. Insert the screw and tighten until the rotor pops off! Turns
out my rotor is already threaded on the end, apparently just for this
purpose! It looked like it was 3/8 24 but my tap won't go in easily so it
must be metric. Now it's a matter of finding a screw that fits.

Another trick is to attach a zerc fitting to the end of the rotor and
basically turn it into a hydraulic cylinder. From what I read it may take
some time but eventually the pressure from a grease gun will force the rotor
off the shaft. This trick is extra slick ;-)