Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stuck Rotor on Tapered Shaft

I'm trying to remove the rotor (field coil) on my little UST GG2300 single
phase generator. It won't come off. The long screw that holds it on was
over-tight and it took some care to remove it without breaking it. Anyone
have any suggestions on how to remove a stuck rotor? I've tried tapping,
pulling and even some whacking but I'm afraid if I hit it any harder I'm
gonna bend the crankshaft. I tried using a puller on the bearing at the end
of the rotor, pushing against the screw (reinserted) but I'm afraid the
bearing might come off before the rotor lets go. I've removed several
rotors on tapered shafts before. Some were stuck buy they always came off
eventually.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 26, 11:35*am, "Ulysses" wrote:
I tried using a puller on the bearing at the end
of the rotor, pushing against the screw (reinserted) but I'm afraid the
bearing might come off before the rotor lets go.

If it's jammed, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced
anyway.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 26, 11:35�am, "Ulysses" wrote:
I'm trying to remove the rotor (field coil) on my little UST GG2300 single
phase generator. �It won't come off. �The long screw that holds it on was
over-tight and it took some care to remove it without breaking it. �Anyone
have any suggestions on how to remove a stuck rotor? �I've tried tapping,
pulling and even some whacking but I'm afraid if I hit it any harder I'm
gonna bend the crankshaft. �I tried using a puller on the bearing at the end
of the rotor, pushing against the screw (reinserted) but I'm afraid the
bearing might come off before the rotor lets go. �I've removed several
rotors on tapered shafts before. �Some were stuck buy they always came off
eventually.

Put the puller back on and put pressure on it with the puller. At the
same time whack the rotor and/or the puller bolt.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ulysses wrote:

I'm trying to remove the rotor (field coil) on my little UST GG2300 single
phase generator. It won't come off. The long screw that holds it on was
over-tight and it took some care to remove it without breaking it. Anyone
have any suggestions on how to remove a stuck rotor? I've tried tapping,
pulling and even some whacking but I'm afraid if I hit it any harder I'm
gonna bend the crankshaft. I tried using a puller on the bearing at the end
of the rotor, pushing against the screw (reinserted) but I'm afraid the
bearing might come off before the rotor lets go. I've removed several
rotors on tapered shafts before. Some were stuck buy they always came off
eventually.

Any way to get a "pickle fork" type of wedge between a step on the shaft
and the rotor? How about applying some of the magic Kroil and letting it
work its way in for a day or two?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ulysses wrote:
I'm trying to remove the rotor (field coil) on my little UST GG2300
single phase generator. It won't come off. The long screw that
holds it on was over-tight and it took some care to remove it without
breaking it. Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove a stuck
rotor? I've tried tapping, pulling and even some whacking but I'm
afraid if I hit it any harder I'm gonna bend the crankshaft. I tried
using a puller on the bearing at the end of the rotor, pushing
against the screw (reinserted) but I'm afraid the bearing might come
off before the rotor lets go. I've removed several rotors on tapered
shafts before. Some were stuck buy they always came off eventually.

On another project here - after letting the sucker soak in solvent - you
might try heating the part that needs removing (like with a propane torch).
The theory is that the metal will expand...

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
On another project here - after letting the sucker soak in solvent -
you might try heating the part that needs removing (like with a
propane torch). The theory is that the metal will expand...

Yep, put the whole thing in the freezer overnight, then heat up the
(sacrificial) bearing quickly with a torch and whack the shaft.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Would you describe this thing you are calling a "rotor" or
post a link to a picture of one? I might know what you mean,
but your use of words is different than mine.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ulysses" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Ulysses wrote:

[...]

Kroil? That one is new to me. I managed to get some WD40 in there, have
tension on it with a 3-jaw puller pulling against the screw, left it like
that all night tilted toward the trouble area, tried whacking it with the
tension from the puller...

I really can't pry behind this particular rotor due to the way the case is
designed. I did try though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
HeyBub wrote:
On another project here - after letting the sucker soak in solvent -
you might try heating the part that needs removing (like with a
propane torch). The theory is that the metal will expand...

Yep, put the whole thing in the freezer overnight, then heat up the
(sacrificial) bearing quickly with a torch and whack the shaft.

Jon

I'm afraid my freezer isn't quite big enough for a generator, even if it is
a rather small one ;-) Maybe I'll just wait til winter.

I thought about using a torch but I think I'll have to make a hole in the
case in order to get the flame in there. I also wanted to see how the
impeller (cooling fan) was attached so I didn't want to destroy it if I
could help it. Might have to though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ulysses wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Ulysses wrote:

[...]

Kroil - get it from Kano Labs, the manufacturer. You can order it
online, and I recommend getting a gallon. It's really really good stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Would you describe this thing you are calling a "rotor" or
post a link to a picture of one? I might know what you mean,
but your use of words is different than mine.

Rotor - The spinning guts in the middle of a generator, that spins
inside the stator.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Would you describe this thing you are calling a "rotor" or
post a link to a picture of one? I might know what you mean,
but your use of words is different than mine.

Rotor - The spinning guts in the middle of a generator, that spins
inside the stator.

Yea. Sometimes called an armature but I think that generally refers to the
spinning part of a motor.

I went over to SmokStak.com and here's what I found: One slick trick is to
tap the end of the rotor so it accepts a screw (3/8" would be about right on
mine). Insert a steel rod just slightly smaller than the hole in the middle
of the rotor. Insert the screw and tighten until the rotor pops off! Turns
out my rotor is already threaded on the end, apparently just for this
purpose! It looked like it was 3/8 24 but my tap won't go in easily so it
must be metric. Now it's a matter of finding a screw that fits.

Another trick is to attach a zerc fitting to the end of the rotor and
basically turn it into a hydraulic cylinder. From what I read it may take
some time but eventually the pressure from a grease gun will force the rotor
off the shaft. This trick is extra slick ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 08:35:47 -0700, Ulysses wrote:

I'm trying to remove the rotor (field coil) on my little UST GG2300 single
phase generator. It won't come off. The long screw that holds it on was
over-tight and it took some care to remove it without breaking it. Anyone
have any suggestions on how to remove a stuck rotor? I've tried tapping,
pulling and even some whacking but I'm afraid if I hit it any harder I'm
gonna bend the crankshaft. I tried using a puller on the bearing at the end
of the rotor, pushing against the screw (reinserted) but I'm afraid the
bearing might come off before the rotor lets go. I've removed several
rotors on tapered shafts before. Some were stuck buy they always came off
eventually.

http://s370.photobucket.com/albums/o...1246116424.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 08:35:47 -0700, against all advice, something
compelled "Ulysses" , to say:

I'm trying to remove the rotor (field coil) on my little UST GG2300 single
phase generator. It won't come off.

Have you tried using WD-40?

--

Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
I'm trying to remove the rotor (field coil) on my little UST GG2300
single phase generator. It won't come off. The long screw that
holds it on was over-tight and it took some care to remove it without
breaking it. Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove a stuck
rotor? I've tried tapping, pulling and even some whacking but I'm
afraid if I hit it any harder I'm gonna bend the crankshaft. I tried
using a puller on the bearing at the end of the rotor, pushing
against the screw (reinserted) but I'm afraid the bearing might come
off before the rotor lets go. I've removed several rotors on tapered
shafts before. Some were stuck buy they always came off eventually.

On another project here - after letting the sucker soak in solvent - you
might try heating the part that needs removing (like with a propane torch).
The theory is that the metal will expand...

Keep in mind that most solvents (incl. wd-40) are flamable (for a time)).

I have hung 'em from a tree overnight: cold night, warm sun in morning,
gravity helps ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ulysses wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Stormin Mormon wrote:

[...]

I've read the grease trick for blind pocketed bushings where you fill
the pocket with grease and then tap in a rod that matches the bushing
bore, forcing the bushing forward.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I think that's called "armature", but I could as easily be
mistaken. Hey, I've never removed one of those, so I'm not
going to be any help.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

rotor steel David Lesher Metalworking 11 July 29th 09 06:14 PM
How tight is a gear stuck on a shaft? John Doe Metalworking 9 October 12th 08 01:09 PM
drywall repair - tapered vs non-tapered james Home Repair 8 October 10th 07 05:33 AM
SINO DRILLS--striking bar, extension rod, button bit, cross bit, chisel bit, DTH hammer and bit, integral drill rod, tapered rod, thread bit, tapered bit, shank adapter, ODS( ODEX, TUBEX), mine lamp [email protected] Home Ownership 0 October 10th 06 08:19 AM
SINO DRILLS--striking bar, extension rod, button bit, cross bit, chisel bit, DTH hammer and bit, integral drill rod, tapered rod, thread bit, tapered bit, shank adapter, ODS( ODEX, TUBEX), mine lamp [email protected] Home Ownership 0 September 29th 06 02:56 AM