Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Replace a sealed insulated glass unit!

ben wrote:
I have a large picture window that has been fogged for years. I had
someone give me a quote to replace it and it came to nearly $1200---a
lot more than I had hoped to spend. My searches suggest there's no
way to repair this myself, but I thought I'd check here. Seems like I
could pull it, take it apart, clean up the glass, put it back together
and seal it up. I don't care if the insulating value is as high as it
used to be...I just want it to be clear.

Any options? I've read about the Crystal Clear company but they don't
have anyone anywhere close.

The window is about 60"x75". Any idea how heavy that would weigh?
Even if I could install a new one myself it would save a bundle.

I had some insulated glass units replaced by a local glass company. They
charged about $1200.00 and I did most of the prep work and finish work, they
just removed and replaced the glass units. Took less than an hour. They
failed within 2 years, cheap bad units.

Had another window that needed replacing, taller glass units, 2 units less.
I contacted a nearby insulated glass unit manufacturer. They made them for
just over $125.00 with all the bells and whistles, low-E, insulated
separaters, argon filled. Premium units. Took me just over an hour to
install.

I have just ordered 15 replacement units for the ones the local glass
company replaced and a number of other windows that have gone bad, the total
cost is $514.00 plus taxes. Again premium units at an average of $34.26
each.

Don't buy retail, try to go wholesale or manufacturer direct. Shop around.