Posted to alt.home.repair

Default any way to repair a sealed insulated glass unit?

I have a large picture window that has been fogged for years. I had
someone give me a quote to replace it and it came to nearly $1200---a
lot more than I had hoped to spend. My searches suggest there's no
way to repair this myself, but I thought I'd check here. Seems like I
could pull it, take it apart, clean up the glass, put it back together
and seal it up. I don't care if the insulating value is as high as it
used to be...I just want it to be clear.

Any options? I've read about the Crystal Clear company but they don't
have anyone anywhere close.

The window is about 60"x75". Any idea how heavy that would weigh?
Even if I could install a new one myself it would save a bundle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ben" wrote in message
I have a large picture window that has been fogged for years. I had
someone give me a quote to replace it and it came to nearly $1200---a
lot more than I had hoped to spend. My searches suggest there's no
way to repair this myself, but I thought I'd check here. Seems like I
could pull it, take it apart, clean up the glass, put it back together
and seal it up. I don't care if the insulating value is as high as it
used to be...I just want it to be clear.

Any options? I've read about the Crystal Clear company but they don't
have anyone anywhere close.

The window is about 60"x75". Any idea how heavy that would weigh?
Even if I could install a new one myself it would save a bundle.

My brother had the same problem with most of the windows in his house. He
called a company and got a quote over the phone that was extremely high.

He called another company and asked to have someone come to check the
windows and give him an estimate.

When the guy came he asked my brother if he wanted the windows replaced or
just the glass. The windows are good, just the glass is all fogged up. My
brother asked for a quote for just replacing the glass and the price was
very much less than his first quote.

He called the first company back and asked how much it would cost just to
replace the glass in all his windows. Again the price was quite acceptable.

Make certain you are getting a quote for just having the glass replaced and
not the entire window.

Freckles

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 26, 11:23*pm, ben wrote:
I have a large picture window that has been fogged for years. *I had
someone give me a quote to replace it and it came to nearly $1200---a
lot more than I had hoped to spend. *My searches suggest there's no
way to repair this myself, but I thought I'd check here. *Seems like I
could pull it, take it apart, clean up the glass, put it back together
and seal it up. *I don't care if the insulating value is as high as it
used to be...I just want it to be clear.

Any options? *I've read about the Crystal Clear company but they don't
have anyone anywhere close.

The window is about 60"x75". *Any idea how heavy that would weigh?
Even if I could install a new one myself it would save a bundle.

If the thing has been fogged for years there's a good chance that the
glass has become etched and will never look quite right again.

You're not installing a 5' x 6' insulated lite by yourself unless you
are interested to see if arterial blood really does spurt out. That's
too big and heavy for one person to handle.

You didn't say what sort of frame the unit is in. Some are easier to
remove and replace than others. First things first - call a local
insulated glass manufacturer and get a price for the unit by itself.
Most likely they won't be willing to give you an installed price over
the phone, but it can't hurt to ask.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ben wrote:
I have a large picture window that has been fogged for years. I had
someone give me a quote to replace it and it came to nearly $1200---a
lot more than I had hoped to spend. My searches suggest there's no
way to repair this myself, but I thought I'd check here. Seems like I
could pull it, take it apart, clean up the glass, put it back together
and seal it up. I don't care if the insulating value is as high as it
used to be...I just want it to be clear.

Any options? I've read about the Crystal Clear company but they don't
have anyone anywhere close.

The window is about 60"x75". Any idea how heavy that would weigh?
Even if I could install a new one myself it would save a bundle.

Hi,
Few of my neighbors used Crystal Clear service and so far the windows
are holding up. No more foggy. I don't know how long they will last.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 20:23:34 -0700 (PDT), ben
wrote:

I have a large picture window that has been fogged for years. I had
someone give me a quote to replace it and it came to nearly $1200---a
lot more than I had hoped to spend. My searches suggest there's no
way to repair this myself, but I thought I'd check here. Seems like I
could pull it, take it apart, clean up the glass, put it back together
and seal it up. I don't care if the insulating value is as high as it
used to be...I just want it to be clear.

Any options? I've read about the Crystal Clear company but they don't
have anyone anywhere close.

The window is about 60"x75". Any idea how heavy that would weigh?
Even if I could install a new one myself it would save a bundle.

Ben,

Sealing the glass panes is NOT a home DIY project. You don't have the
tools or the shop. Contact a local window glazing company. Let them
measure and replace the glass. They have cups to hold and carry the
glass. The size you mention can get your hurt, seriously.

Tempered glass will weigh much more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
ben wrote:

I have a large picture window that has been fogged for years. I had
someone give me a quote to replace it and it came to nearly $1200---a
lot more than I had hoped to spend. My searches suggest there's no
way to repair this myself, but I thought I'd check here. Seems like I
could pull it, take it apart, clean up the glass, put it back together
and seal it up. I don't care if the insulating value is as high as it
used to be...I just want it to be clear.

Any options? I've read about the Crystal Clear company but they don't
have anyone anywhere close.

The window is about 60"x75". Any idea how heavy that would weigh?
Even if I could install a new one myself it would save a bundle.

Did the $1200 dollar quote come with lube? Find a decent glass shop in
town and ask them for a quote on rebuilding it. It ain't gonna cost
*that* much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for all the replies.

The quote was for just replacing the glass, not the window.

We looked at the structure together and figured out that there are
four wood pieces screwed down on the outside that need removing to
remove the glass unit. Shouldn't be too bad.

The weird thing is that over the phone they told me it would be about
$400 for the glass (I gave them approx. dimensions within an inch or
so) and $200 for install. That sounded fine. After they came out,
the glass went up to $500 and the install to $600. (It was a
message...I haven't asked them what happened yet).

Ok, sounds like it's not a DIY. There's (at least) one other shop in
town that does this. I called them too and they gave me a similar
price over the phone. I'll see what they say when they come out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 1:47�am, ben wrote:
Thanks for all the replies.

The quote was for just replacing the glass, not the window.

We looked at the structure together and figured out that there are
four wood pieces screwed down on the outside that need removing to
remove the glass unit. �Shouldn't be too bad.

The weird thing is that over the phone they told me it would be about
$400 for the glass (I gave them approx. dimensions within an inch or
so) and $200 for install. �That sounded fine. �After they came out,
the glass went up to $500 and the install to $600. �(It was a
message...I haven't asked them what happened yet).

Ok, sounds like it's not a DIY. �There's (at least) one other shop in
town that does this. �I called them too and they gave me a similar
price over the phone. �I'll see what they say when they come out.

Locally pittsburgh window and door make new sealed glass units on
site.

take glass and its holder frame.. but not entire window in by 8AM pick
up all rebuilt after 4PM.

my 3 by 5 foot dual pane was 80 bucks. smaller double hung 40 bucks.

a few more have fogged i will take them in this summer.

OP is being ripped off big time,

2 people can handle his picture window they arent that heavy......
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ben" wrote in message
I have a large picture window that has been fogged for years. I had
someone give me a quote to replace it and it came to nearly $1200---a
lot more than I had hoped to spend. My searches suggest there's no
way to repair this myself, but I thought I'd check here. Seems like I
could pull it, take it apart, clean up the glass, put it back together
and seal it up. I don't care if the insulating value is as high as it
used to be...I just want it to be clear.

Any options? I've read about the Crystal Clear company but they don't
have anyone anywhere close.

The window is about 60"x75". Any idea how heavy that would weigh?
Even if I could install a new one myself it would save a bundle.

i just had basically same size window replaced 2 pane gas for $280.00. in
ohio.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"skeeter" wrote
"ben" wrote

someone give me a quote to replace it and it came to nearly $1200---a
The window is about 60"x75". Any idea how heavy that would weigh?

i just had basically same size window replaced 2 pane gas for $280.00. in
ohio.

I had an entire window of same size roughly replaced. 850$ but was part of
a package deal and a reduced rate from a friend who's done many other jobs
for us. Regular price would have been about 1,100 I think (2 years ago).

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Replace a sealed insulated glass unit!

ben wrote:
I have a large picture window that has been fogged for years. I had
someone give me a quote to replace it and it came to nearly $1200---a
lot more than I had hoped to spend. My searches suggest there's no
way to repair this myself, but I thought I'd check here. Seems like I
could pull it, take it apart, clean up the glass, put it back together
and seal it up. I don't care if the insulating value is as high as it
used to be...I just want it to be clear.

Any options? I've read about the Crystal Clear company but they don't
have anyone anywhere close.

The window is about 60"x75". Any idea how heavy that would weigh?
Even if I could install a new one myself it would save a bundle.

I had some insulated glass units replaced by a local glass company. They
charged about $1200.00 and I did most of the prep work and finish work, they
just removed and replaced the glass units. Took less than an hour. They
failed within 2 years, cheap bad units.

Had another window that needed replacing, taller glass units, 2 units less.
I contacted a nearby insulated glass unit manufacturer. They made them for
just over $125.00 with all the bells and whistles, low-E, insulated
separaters, argon filled. Premium units. Took me just over an hour to
install.

I have just ordered 15 replacement units for the ones the local glass
company replaced and a number of other windows that have gone bad, the total
cost is $514.00 plus taxes. Again premium units at an average of $34.26
each.

Don't buy retail, try to go wholesale or manufacturer direct. Shop around.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The window is about 60"x75". Any idea how heavy that would weigh?
Even if I could install a new one myself it would save a bundle.

You might consider replacing the frame as well. Then divide the opening in
half and put in two smaller windows. They would be easier to handle if you
do the work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a large picture window that has been fogged for years. I had
someone give me a quote to replace it and it came to nearly $1200---a
lot more than I had hoped to spend. My searches suggest there's no
way to repair this myself, but I thought I'd check here. Seems like I
could pull it, take it apart, clean up the glass, put it back together
and seal it up. I don't care if the insulating value is as high as it
used to be...I just want it to be clear.

Any options? I've read about the Crystal Clear company but they don't
have anyone anywhere close.

The window is about 60"x75". Any idea how heavy that would weigh?
Even if I could install a new one myself it would save a bundle.

Well I had the same issue with one round window. After getting
replacement estimates from $570 to $950, I simply removed one pane of
glass.

Assuming your window glass thickness is one eighth inch thick, the
double pane glass will weigh about 105 pounds +/- 10 percent.

Insulated consumer unit for garage [email protected] UK diy 4 October 2nd 07 12:15 AM
Replacing Insulated glass. Buckwheat Home Repair 1 January 4th 06 12:50 AM
Storm door, insulated or regular glass? JessicaG Home Repair 6 November 7th 05 03:55 AM
Old Double Hung Windows w/Insulated Glass Art Stewart Home Ownership 2 April 16th 04 05:18 PM
Terminating SWA at insulated consumer unit Andy Hall UK diy 14 September 11th 03 09:52 PM