Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] man@privacy.net[_2_] is offline

Default Homemade peanut butter

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 19:11:05 -0400, Phisherman wrote:

:On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 08:37:29 -0700, Dan Musicant )
:wrote:
:
:I've made nut butters in the kitchen for many years, usually peanut
:butter. It's a money saver and you can see with your own eyes exactly
:what the ingredients are.
:
:I roast the nuts in the oven, although I have made raw cashew butter a
:time or two. My sometime problem is getting a machine that's up to the
:task. I used to work with a Waring blender, and after burning out a few
:motors (they were available for user replacement), I bought an Osterizer
:10 speed and it lasted for over 20 years on the original motor. It
:finally burned out about two months ago. This old Osterizer was 125
:watts only. Besides the glass blender jar I had a $10 plastic accessory
:that they called a food processor attachment, which I have only used for
:grinding meat on occasion. It's designed very well and does a very nice
:job of meat grinding.
:
:So, in looking for a replacement for my old Osterizer I figured I'd get
:another Osterizer, naturally, inasmuch as the old one lasted 20+ years
:and I still wanted to be able to use the meat-grinding food processor
:attachment. I did some homework and found that the current Osterizer
:blenders are rated at much higher power -- from 450 watts up to 600
:watts or so. About two months ago I picked up a #6694 450 watt 12 speed
:Osterizer Blender at Walmart for around $25. However, it burned out this
:morning making a new batch of peanut butter. I suppose I can get a
:warranty replacement which will work fine for smoothies and such and
:grinding meat, but evidently I need something more robust for nut
:butters. I had been eyeing the "Beehive" Osterizer, which I can get for
:around $55 at Walmart. It's supposed to be 600 watts, supports 2 speeds
:and a flash button (the food processor attachment requires flash). I
:thought I'd post first to get people's opinions and experience before
:shelling out more money, perhaps vainly.
:
:Dan
:
:Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net
:
:
:I'd buy an Osterizer without hesitation if it were not made in China
:nor Taiwan. Also, you will pay more for a metal version than a
lastic one.
:
:BTW, there is a HUGE difference between peanut butter made just from
eanuts and a jar of Jiff. Processed peanut butter typically has
:hydrogenated oils, not good.

I'm tempted to buy the Osterizer Beehive. I think it's metal, I doubt
it's not made in China. With tax, it would be a $60 investment Seems to
be tougher than the others, but there are some reports of burnouts.
Maybe if I'm careful enough with it I can get it to last a long time.
Instead of trying to grind 30 oz at a time with no added oil, I can do
15 oz at a time, perhaps with a teaspoon or two of oil for starters.
Scoop out some, add more nuts, etc. until done with the whole 60 oz
batch. I'm bringing my burned out 14 speed to an Oster servicing center
in a couple of days and will await a shipped replacement. Maybe I'll
just see if I can survive with that. Or, with two Osterizers, I will
cupboard a backup machine for just-in-case backup.

I hate to buy a food processor. My reasons a

1. Expense
2. I can envision no use for it currently other than making peanut
butter.
3. It's another device I have to find room for. I use a blender for
smoothies, certain other tasks. I already have a bread machine, so that
aspect of a food processor isn't needed.

Like I said in the OP, my first Osterizer was merely 125 watts, a 10
speed and lasted 20+ years. I often worried that it was burning out but
it never did until this spring.

Agreed about non-natural peanut butter. I bought some "organic" peanut
butter at Costco a couple of years ago and returned it after tasting it.
Looking at the label I realized it had hydrogenated oil added and it was
awful. Lately, they're selling natural, but I still prefer to make my
own, especially after the recent revelations about what uncertainties
there are in processing plants.

Dan