Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

Default Homemade peanut butter

I've made nut butters in the kitchen for many years, usually peanut
butter. It's a money saver and you can see with your own eyes exactly
what the ingredients are.

I roast the nuts in the oven, although I have made raw cashew butter a
time or two. My sometime problem is getting a machine that's up to the
task. I used to work with a Waring blender, and after burning out a few
motors (they were available for user replacement), I bought an Osterizer
10 speed and it lasted for over 20 years on the original motor. It
finally burned out about two months ago. This old Osterizer was 125
watts only. Besides the glass blender jar I had a $10 plastic accessory
that they called a food processor attachment, which I have only used for
grinding meat on occasion. It's designed very well and does a very nice
job of meat grinding.

So, in looking for a replacement for my old Osterizer I figured I'd get
another Osterizer, naturally, inasmuch as the old one lasted 20+ years
and I still wanted to be able to use the meat-grinding food processor
attachment. I did some homework and found that the current Osterizer
blenders are rated at much higher power -- from 450 watts up to 600
watts or so. About two months ago I picked up a #6694 450 watt 12 speed
Osterizer Blender at Walmart for around $25. However, it burned out this
morning making a new batch of peanut butter. I suppose I can get a
warranty replacement which will work fine for smoothies and such and
grinding meat, but evidently I need something more robust for nut
butters. I had been eyeing the "Beehive" Osterizer, which I can get for
around $55 at Walmart. It's supposed to be 600 watts, supports 2 speeds
and a flash button (the food processor attachment requires flash). I
thought I'd post first to get people's opinions and experience before
shelling out more money, perhaps vainly.

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

In article , Dan Musicant
) says...
[...]

Have you looked into the thunderstick?
http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/thunderstick.html
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

"Dan Musicant" wrote in message
I've made nut butters in the kitchen for many years, usually peanut
butter. It's a money saver and you can see with your own eyes exactly
what the ingredients are.

I roast the nuts in the oven, although I have made raw cashew butter a
time or two. My sometime problem is getting a machine that's up to the
task. I used to work with a Waring blender, and after burning out a few
motors (they were available for user replacement), I

I've used a Cuisinart food processor with good results. I've not made all
that much nut butter compared to you, but it has worked and may be worth
considering. Plenty of people have them so you may find a friend that will
let you try theirs for a batch to see the results.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Dan Musicant" wrote in message
I've made nut butters in the kitchen for many years, usually peanut
butter. It's a money saver and you can see with your own eyes exactly
what the ingredients are.

I roast the nuts in the oven, although I have made raw cashew butter
a time or two. My sometime problem is getting a machine that's up to
the task. I used to work with a Waring blender, and after burning
out a few motors (they were available for user replacement), I

I've used a Cuisinart food processor with good results. I've not
made all that much nut butter compared to you, but it has worked and
may be worth considering. Plenty of people have them so you may
find a friend that will let you try theirs for a batch to see the
results.

So, now, how about a recipe please? Is it just ground peanuts or do you add
something?

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote in message
"Dan Musicant" wrote in message
I've made nut butters in the kitchen for many years, usually peanut
butter. It's a money saver and you can see with your own eyes exactly
what the ingredients are.

I roast the nuts in the oven, although I have made raw cashew butter a
time or two. My sometime problem is getting a machine that's up to the
task. I used to work with a Waring blender, and after burning out a few
motors (they were available for user replacement), I

I've used a Cuisinart food processor with good results. I've not made all
that much nut butter compared to you, but it has worked and may be worth
considering. Plenty of people have them so you may find a friend that
will let you try theirs for a batch to see the results.

I second the Cuisinart food processor. I've got three, 11-cup, 6 cup, and
mini-prep. All perform excellently for the tasks I use them for.

Be sure to hit the thrift shops and appliance repair places for the size you
want. I was able to replace my broken lids (stupid "new-and-improved"
design) with new units for cheaper than ordering a new part!

The Ranger

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

"Ophelia" wrote in message
I've used a Cuisinart food processor with good results. I've not
made all that much nut butter compared to you, but it has worked and
may be worth considering. Plenty of people have them so you may
find a friend that will let you try theirs for a batch to see the
results.

So, now, how about a recipe please? Is it just ground peanuts or do you
add something?

Peanuts, maybe a few drops of vegetable oil, and some salt. Turn on the
machine and let it rip. add tiny amounts oil if you want a thinner
consistency, salt to taste.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in message
I've used a Cuisinart food processor with good results. I've not
made all that much nut butter compared to you, but it has worked and
may be worth considering. Plenty of people have them so you may
find a friend that will let you try theirs for a batch to see the
results.

So, now, how about a recipe please? Is it just ground peanuts or do
you add something?

Peanuts, maybe a few drops of vegetable oil, and some salt. Turn on
the machine and let it rip. add tiny amounts oil if you want a
thinner consistency, salt to taste.

Thank you. I shall try that

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

Dan Musicant wrote:
[...]

Look at the offerings from a culinary supply house - the same stuff sold to
institutional kitchens and the like.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

:In article , Dan Musicant
:
[...]

I'd never seen it. It's not available at that site currently and they
don't post a price. Seems unlikely that I could make up to 60 ounces of
smooth peanut butter with any convenience with that item. The pictures
at that site are tiny and I can't make out what the accessories come to,
but it doesn't look promising.

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 14:31:06 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

:
:"Dan Musicant" wrote in message
.. .
: I've made nut butters in the kitchen for many years, usually peanut
: butter. It's a money saver and you can see with your own eyes exactly
: what the ingredients are.
:
: I roast the nuts in the oven, although I have made raw cashew butter a
: time or two. My sometime problem is getting a machine that's up to the
: task. I used to work with a Waring blender, and after burning out a few
: motors (they were available for user replacement), I
:
:I've used a Cuisinart food processor with good results. I've not made all
:that much nut butter compared to you, but it has worked and may be worth
:considering. Plenty of people have them so you may find a friend that will
:let you try theirs for a batch to see the results.

Thanks. I think my sister may have one and I'll ask her.

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 19:31:36 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

:Ed Pawlowski wrote:
: "Dan Musicant" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Sure. Ingredients:

60 ounces raw peanuts
1 teaspoon salt

Lately, I make enough to fill two 28 oz. jars, so I use around 60 ounces
of raw peanuts. Yesterday I bought almost 20 lb., raw peanuts in bulk at
my local Chinatown for $0.99/lb.

I place 30 oz. of raw peanuts on a large flat aluminum cookie sheet that
I've had for many years, and 30 oz. is as full as it will get with the
nuts as close together as can be without being double stacked. I place
this in a cold gas oven and then set the thermostat to 350. I set my
digital timer for 30 minutes and when it goes off I turn off the oven
but leave the nuts in there for part of the cool-down (this method takes
a little longer, but it saves on gas). After the oven is below 250 it's
OK to remove the sheet. I do this twice to get 60 oz. of roasted peanuts
(a similar if not identical process can be used to roast almonds).

I was filling the blender container with 1/2 the nuts (30 oz.), along
with about 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Salt to taste, but that's about the
amount that I prefer.

I blend until smooth. I use a pestle from a mortar and pestle (I made
the pestle some years ago from a cylindrical stick, but you could use a
spoon, certainly) to push down the nuts for the first part of the
grinding process, afterward stopping the motor occasionally and mixing
and pushing down unground nuts with a butter knife (ordinary table
knife). After a while the nut butter will actually swirl around in the
container by itself. Remove with plastic spatula to a large mixing bowl
from which I transfer into bottles. I keep one in the refrigerator, the
other unrefrigerated for use.

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On Jun 26, 11:37*am, Dan Musicant ) wrote:
[...]

Ive tried it in a blender but found a food processor works better. I
made a batch of pecan butter the other day. If you like Oreintal
peanut butter sauce you
havent lived until you try it with pecan butter. Toasted sesame seeds
are also a nice addition to most nut butters.

Jimmie

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

[...]

We use the large Cuisinart. Make Sunflower butter. Chop almonds, Walnuts,
Pecans also. No problem with Cuisinart. WW

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I've seen some interesting heavy-duty blenders used for Indian cooking.
I can't remember any brand names, but they are like inexpensive
versions of a Vita-Mix (with a 1/2 HP motor) Might be worth investigating.

You could also add peanut oil when you start so the PB is thinner, then
let it settle and you can pour the oil back off the top when it separates.

I like PB made with salted redskin peanuts; I like the texture. :-P

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 08:37:29 -0700, Dan Musicant )
wrote:

[...]

I'd buy an Osterizer without hesitation if it were not made in China
nor Taiwan. Also, you will pay more for a metal version than a
plastic one.

BTW, there is a HUGE difference between peanut butter made just from
peanuts and a jar of Jiff. Processed peanut butter typically has
hydrogenated oils, not good.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

[...]

Peanut and other nut butters were around long before food processors or
blenders, or for that matter electricity, were available. I don't know how
much peanut butter you make, but an old fashioned hand mill ought to do the
job.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

Dan Musicant ) wrote in
:

[...]

I wonder if a BLENDER is an appropriate tool for this task.
Particularly a consumer product;generally light duty items.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

zxcvbob wrote:

I've seen some interesting heavy-duty blenders used for Indian cooking.
I can't remember any brand names, but they are like inexpensive
versions of a Vita-Mix (with a 1/2 HP motor) Might be worth investigating.

You could also add peanut oil when you start so the PB is thinner, then
let it settle and you can pour the oil back off the top when it separates.

I like PB made with salted redskin peanuts; I like the texture. :-P

Bob

Found one. I don't know if this is a good price or not:
http://www.bombaylimited.com/Preethi...lus-16133.html
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

zxcvbob wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:

I've seen some interesting heavy-duty blenders used for Indian
cooking. I can't remember any brand names, but they are like
inexpensive versions of a Vita-Mix (with a 1/2 HP motor) Might be
worth investigating.

You could also add peanut oil when you start so the PB is thinner,
then let it settle and you can pour the oil back off the top when it
separates.

I like PB made with salted redskin peanuts; I like the texture. :-P

Bob

Found one. I don't know if this is a good price or not:
http://www.bombaylimited.com/Preethi...lus-16133.html

Another possibility is that some higher end grocery stores have peanut
grinders in place for you to use. In my area a small franchise called
"Papa Joe's" has one in each store. The large commercial type grinders,
and plenty of fresh nuts for you to choose from. With the volume I eat
peanut butter, I'd rather not pay $175 for another device that I'd have
to find a place for.

Just an idea.

Bob

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

In article ,
Bob Muncie wrote:

Another possibility is that some higher end grocery stores have peanut
grinders in place for you to use.

Yeah, and it's easy to get almond butter for the price of peanut butter
that way, too. I mean, so I've heard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 19:11:05 -0400, in alt.home.repair, Phisherman
wrote:

BTW, there is a HUGE difference between peanut butter made just from
peanuts and a jar of Jiff. Processed peanut butter typically has
hydrogenated oils, not good.

Some markets sport all-natural peanut butters. They usually separate in the
jar; you'll see a thick layer of clear peanut oil on top of the butter, and
it must be stirred back together before use. Once reunited and refrigerated
it won't separate again, at least not for several years. (Or, I suppose,
you could pour off the oil and just use the peanut sludge. I've never tried
that.)

Here is an excerpt from the label on my favorite brand:

Ingredients: Peanuts, Salt

--
Due to Usenet spam, emailed replies must pass an intelligence test: if
you want me to read your reply, be sure to include this line of text in
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 13:31:15 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE
wrote:

[...]

That sounds pretty good. Do you roast the pecans first?

Dan

PS Sesame oil might be good instead of the toasted sesame seeds, or
possible both. Quality sesame oil is really good. In my experience it
doesn't get rancid either.

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:55:15 -0600, "WW" wrote:

:
[...]

Is that the 11 cup or the 14 cup? I was poking around online and looking
at them today.

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Eating too much peanut butter can lower L-Lysine in your body affecting
your immune strength. It can cause a cold sore break out.Cold sore is
caused by virus related to Herpes.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On Jun 26, 7:15*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
*Bob Muncie wrote:

Another possibility is that some higher end grocery stores have peanut
grinders in place for you to use.

Yeah, and it's easy to get almond butter for the price of peanut butter
that way, too. I mean, so I've heard.

I love peanut butter dearly , (BTW, I 've used Laura Scudders chunky
forever;
beats the hell out of Jif, etc.), but lately have been switching to
Almond
butter, very economical, at Trader Joe's. Almonds supposed to be
better for health.
But I sneak back to PB occasionally.

Definition of Heaven: Open sandwich with PB and sliced bananas,
on good whole-grain bread with a thin layer of butter underneath.
(drool...)

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On Jun 26, 8:50*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Citations, please? Sounds a little far out, excuse me.

Also, it's my understanding that one had to have had chicken-pox at
some
point, in order to get repeated "cold sores" later in life. Virus
remains latent in the
body until break-out brought on by ??

Interested in your opinions.

Hypatia

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On Jun 26, 10:37*am, Dan Musicant ) wrote:
[...]

I bought an old Salton (George Foreman spokesperson) peanut butter
maker at a thrift store that has worked well.
It makes a small amount at a time though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

:wrote:
:
[...]
lastic one.
:
:BTW, there is a HUGE difference between peanut butter made just from
eanuts and a jar of Jiff. Processed peanut butter typically has
:hydrogenated oils, not good.

I'm tempted to buy the Osterizer Beehive. I think it's metal, I doubt
it's not made in China. With tax, it would be a $60 investment Seems to
be tougher than the others, but there are some reports of burnouts.
Maybe if I'm careful enough with it I can get it to last a long time.
Instead of trying to grind 30 oz at a time with no added oil, I can do
15 oz at a time, perhaps with a teaspoon or two of oil for starters.
Scoop out some, add more nuts, etc. until done with the whole 60 oz
batch. I'm bringing my burned out 14 speed to an Oster servicing center
in a couple of days and will await a shipped replacement. Maybe I'll
just see if I can survive with that. Or, with two Osterizers, I will
cupboard a backup machine for just-in-case backup.

I hate to buy a food processor. My reasons a

1. Expense
2. I can envision no use for it currently other than making peanut
butter.
3. It's another device I have to find room for. I use a blender for
smoothies, certain other tasks. I already have a bread machine, so that
aspect of a food processor isn't needed.

Like I said in the OP, my first Osterizer was merely 125 watts, a 10
speed and lasted 20+ years. I often worried that it was burning out but
it never did until this spring.

Agreed about non-natural peanut butter. I bought some "organic" peanut
butter at Costco a couple of years ago and returned it after tasting it.
Looking at the label I realized it had hydrogenated oil added and it was
awful. Lately, they're selling natural, but I still prefer to make my
own, especially after the recent revelations about what uncertainties
there are in processing plants.

Dan
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 19:31:32 -0400, "Lou" wrote:

:
[...]
I'm not familiar with old fashioned hand mills and have no idea
concerning finding and buying one. Seems like it might be a lot of work,
and it's yet another thing to store. A blender, at least, serves
multiple functions as long as it doesn't burn out. I'm ****ed that they
don't make better motors. I think they're fully aware of the problem and
just choose to keep making machines that burn out because their net
profit is better served with that m.o. I will not hesitate to take
advantage of their warranty when possible.

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 27 Jun 2009 00:13:40 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

:I wonder if a BLENDER is an appropriate tool for this task.
:Particularly a consumer product;generally light duty items.
:--
:Jim Yanik

I know, it's pushing the limits of these machines. My last one lasted
20+ years, and it was only 125 watts, so I figure a 450 w or 600 w
machine SHOULD stand up to the task. I think they don't care if they
burn out because they make more money by selling machines that aren't
particularly robust. They lose on warranty replacements, but make more
from selling replacement machines than those losses, so they continue to
follow a policy of planned obsolescence.

Dan
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 21:50:10 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

:Hi,
:Eating too much peanut butter can lower L-Lysine in your body affecting
:your immune strength. It can cause a cold sore break out.Cold sore is
:caused by virus related to Herpes.

Yes, interesting, thanks for posting this. I was aware that peanuts are
healthful but only in moderation. What I heard was a "handful a day."

Dan
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

"Bob Villa" says:

I bought an old Salton peanut butter
maker at a thrift store that has worked well.
It makes a small amount at a time though.

You ain't Bob Villa.

Bob Villa would put his nuts into something like this:
http://tinyurl.com/oxosfr

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 8:07*am, "brooklyn1" wrote:
"Bob Villa" says:

I bought an old Salton *peanut butter
maker at a thrift store that has worked well.
It makes a small amount at a time though.

You ain't Bob Villa.

Bob Villa would put his nuts into something like this:http://tinyurl.com/oxosfr

You're thinking of "Tim the Toolman" not me...I never use tools. I'm
a lawyer.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

on 6/26/2009 11:50 PM (ET) Tony Hwang wrote the following:
wrote:
[...]

Perhaps for some people. Some other people will go into anaphylactic
shock and could die from nuts in any form.
I eat nuts in all forms, roasted, salted, peanut butter, and nuts in any
candy bar, and have for most of my life.
Just for info purposes, I am 71 years old and have never had the flu, or
a flu shot.
I don't have herpes simplex, herpes complex, or herpes duplex. :-P
You have to be an SNL fan to understand that last one.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

"Bob Villa" says:

I bought an old Salton peanut butter
maker at a thrift store that has worked well.
It makes a small amount at a time though.

You ain't Bob Villa.

Bob Villa would put his nuts into something like this:
http://tinyurl.com/oxosfr

Bob Vila also takes great pains to enunciate his last name clearly, so
you'll know it has only one "l." (The double "l" is pronounced as "y.")
He's likely Portugese rather than Spanish.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

: wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't be too sure that you don't have herpes. It's said to be
almost ubiquitous. Have you been tested? You probably have it, you just
don't know it. BTW, there's several types of herpes viruses.

Dan

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 05:51:47 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
wrote:

:I bought an old Salton (George Foreman spokesperson) peanut butter
:maker at a thrift store that has worked well.
:It makes a small amount at a time though.

Yes, I saw it online yesterday. It looks similar to other ~$40 peanut
butter making machines for sale various places online including ebay.
Most people aren't high on them, but I suppose if you're careful and
don't mind your PB a bit coarse they might work for you. I'm skeptical,
and besides, I don't really want to have a machine dedicated to nut
butter if I can effectively avoid it.

Dan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 05:56:22 -0700, Dan Musicant )
wrote:

-snip-
I hate to buy a food processor. My reasons a

1. Expense
2. I can envision no use for it currently other than making peanut
butter.
3. It's another device I have to find room for. I use a blender for
smoothies, certain other tasks. I already have a bread machine, so that
aspect of a food processor isn't needed.

I've done without a bread machine- using the dough-hooks on my
Kitchenaid. But the processor- a 25yr old LaMachine II- gets a
workout a couple times a week for pesto, chopping veggies for soup,
grating cheese, or slicing veggies for salads.

Different strokes-

Jim
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

From what I have read it is almost impossible not to have it. Its just
simply a roll of the dice if it will ever "kick in".